What can someone do in the Political Science field?

9

I am thinking of majoring in political science and I would like to know some possible careers that people have from this. #political-science

9

J’s Answer

3

Hi Matthew - I definitely agree with Phi's answer. There are a large number of career possibilities if you major in political science as a undergraduate. I'm getting a PhD in political science (after receiving an undergraduate degree in public policy and international affairs). Usually, people who get a PhD in political science either go into:
1) academia: this means they become professors at universities who do research on politics and who teach classes related to politics
2) government / think tanks: this means they work for government agencies, international organizations, or think tanks as policy-maker and policy-advisors.

One thing to note is that getting a PhD in political science is a long term commitment (usually 5-7 years), and top PhD programs are very competitive (you have to have a strong undergraduate GPA, good letters of recommendations from your undergraduate professors, good GRE scores). But if you get in, instead of you paying tuition (which you have to do for undergraduate and masters programs), the PhD program pays you (usually your tuition, healthcare is free, and you get a stipend of around $30,000 per year).

Thank you! Alyssa H.
thank you for giving suprises ahilandeswari B.
thank you for your kind wishes Keerthana M.
i am very interested my career because of your career advice Sowmiya A.
thank you so much i am very interested Srigayathri A.
thank you so so much harithana M.
thank you for your kind wishes harithana M.
3

Phi’s Answer

2

Political science is a great major. I was not a poli sci major but I am an attorney and I know that many attorneys majored in poli sci as undergraduates. Some other careers that are applicable: law enforcement, political campaign positions, government positions, and teaching are just a few.

You can work in several fields with a degree in Political Science. You can find a job in the Dpt of State, Justice, IRS, SSN, DHHS, NGOs, GOs, Consultancy etc.... Felix Ayika, CFE
thank you for given some ideas ahilandeswari B.
i am very interested my career because of your career advice! harithana M.
2

Eric’s Answer

1

I majored in Political Science.

The degree is a popular choice for those going to law school. But to be honest, unless you intend to go to graduate school, your employment options with just a Poli Sci undergraduate degree is severely limited. I do not recall ever seeing a job advert by a private employer who specifically mentions wanting Political Science majors. Perhaps there are some in the public sector, but I never looked as that's not a sector I want to pursue.

As someone already said, if you want to work in a government field or in academia, you need to know that your pursuit in the Poli Sci field should be viewed as a long-term investment. There is some risk involved because if you graduate and decide continuing education isn't for you, your employment prospects will be limited compared to, say, those who majored in a technical or business field.

Best wishes!

thank you for your kind information Keerthana M.
i am very interested my career because of your career advice!!!!!!!!!!!11 harithana M.
thank you for your kind wishes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! harithana M.
1

Jeremy’s Answer

0

A bachelor's degree in political science can lead to exciting careers in federal, state and local governments; law; business; international organizations; nonprofit associations and organizations; campaign management and polling; journalism; pre-collegiate education; electoral politics; research and university and college teaching.

Political science majors gain analytical skills, administrative competence and communication abilities that are valued in a wide spectrum of potential career areas.

thank you for your kind wishes1! harithana M.
0

Felix’s Answer

0

You can work in several fields with a degree in Political Science. You can find a job in the Dpt of State, Justice, IRS, SSN, DHHS, NGOs, GOs, Consultancy etc....

0