Whats the percentage of veterinarian graduates every year?

I have a lot of friends that want to become a vet when they are older. It worries me that they will be "chosen" to become one while the other have to choose a different path. So how often do vet students take the time to become a veterinarian? How many hours are used to be one? Is it really competitive? Whats the best school to get a veterinarian degree? #animals #veterinarian #veterinary #vetschool

2

Michelle’s Answer

Hi Addie!

A quick search for "veterinarian degree acceptance rates" tells us that for every 100 people who apply to go to vet school, 10-15 are admitted (10-15% acceptance rate). In comparison, Ivy League colleges have about a 5-7% acceptance rate on average. In short, yes, wanting to be a veterinarian will involve a competitive education path. Your chances of getting into a veterinarian program is about twice to three times as much as getting into Harvard. Not terrible, but not exactly easy either!

With that said, everyone who says they want to be a veterinarian when they are young will not decide to take a different path. I don't know much about this field, but after your bachelor's degree (four years on average), you will need to go to vet school (another four years). The rankings of programs and colleges can be found with a google search--those in the profession will have more insight. My best advice is to make decisions about your education with the end in mind: pick an undergraduate program, major, and extracurricular activities that will best help you reach your goal.

0

Julie’s Answer

Hi Addie! I totally second Michelle's answer. It is very competitive to get into vet school, so when you get to the point in college where you're seriously considering applying, I would try to get a job working directly with a veterinarian. It may be that after working with a vet for a few months you decide that it's not for you, which has happened to multiple people I know who were on track to apply to vet school. That's totally okay! We're constantly evolving as people, and no one expects you to be the same person at 22 that you are at 16 or 6. When I was a kid I wanted to be a wildlife biologist and a writer, and after college I worked at a bookstore and at a music school before applying to vet school. I also didn't get into vet school the first time I applied, which is very common. While this was discouraging at the time, it gave me the chance for self-reflection and I became even more determined to achieve the experience I needed to get into vet school the second time I applied.

In addition, I would also encourage you to spend time developing your own interests and experiences and try not to compare yourself too much to your friends. We all do it and it's hard when you have friends who have the same career goals, but in my experience, overly competitive behavior with classmates and friends can be really stressful and lead to negative thinking. Just focus on what you love and even if you don't end up becoming a veterinarian, I have no doubt you'll find a career that's right for you.

0