How can I get better grades?

The question was worded very differently from what I am trying to ask.To clarify, even though I had tried very hard to get a good overall GPA for my second semester in college, I still seemed to get lower than a 3.0 GPA. So, I believe that even when I tried my best I still didn't get the grades I was hoping to get. Is there any way I can I guess you can say.. increase my intake on knowledge and understand the material that is needed to learn? college school gpa grades

4
Pros
4
0

Nathaniel’s Answer

First, I'll just say that the fact you're asking for help shows you're taking your education seriously and have a desire to succeed. That speaks to your character and that you want to succeed - that mature/positive attitude will take you far!

Are there specific classes that you have a hard time with or topics? When I was in college I struggled with Physics... a lot. Pretty good at math, loved science, but even with a lot of effort was having a hard time. The first thing I did was talk to my professor during his office hours to ask for help. I showed him a few of the topics I was lost on and he gave me some help but didn't have much time and couldn't cover everything.

I then went to our TA and asked them if I could spend some time. As it turns out, I wasn't the only one who had a hard time with physics and the TA told me about a study group that met twice a week. I started attending those sessions and it was a huge help... mostly from the TAs answering questions but also from working with my classmates on the same problems.

I ended up bringing my grades up after that but they weren't exactly 'amazing'. However, I knew that wasn't my best subject and that I did the best I could. In the subjects that I enjoyed the most I seemed to do the best so made sure I was taking electives that fit my major but I also liked. In the subjects that I struggled with, I just looked for help as much as I could.

So, my advice would be if you haven't already talk to your professor or TA about office hours or study groups. Find other people that might be trying to improve and form a study group... grab food a few times a week and work on assignments. A few other tips... show up to class (I used to skip from time to time and it really hurt when I missed a complex topic!). Get enough sleep. Take breaks... your brain needs time to absorb information. And most importantly, keep up the positive attitude you have and I'm confident you'll find a way to do better.

It's only your second semester and college is a lot harder than high school but you'll find your way.

2
Pros
2
0

Jeannine’s Answer

I definitely agree with Nathaniel, asking your professor or a TA for assistance is a great way to go. It is extremely likely that you are not the only person in the course that is struggling. Finding another person to study with or a group often allows you to explain to them the parts you understand and then for them to explain the parts to you that they understand.

The other suggestion that I would make is to think about how you learn best. Is it by reading, hearing or hands on application? This could help you when asking the professor/TA/other students for help. Letting them know what sections you are struggling with and then asking them for the specific kind of material that would help you learn could be beneficial. Often professors have additional material or suggestions of material that could assist you or another student may have found something they find useful.

It sounds like you are a dedicated person and just asking this questions shows your commitment and care. Keep trying and just know, that we can't all be the best at everything, but we can always try our best.

• Best of Luck

1
Pros
1
0

Simeon’s Answer

Some tips would be to focus on micro-studying, or studying in small fifteen to thirty minute bursts rather than doing last-minute cram sessions. Join study groups that will give you accountability as well as access to people that might have picked up on important points in the lecture/reading that you missed. Print out your class syllabus and look at the grade break down. Go to the ratemyprofessor website to see if there are any special things to know about the professor's grading approach. Say for instance, some professors will take points off for misspelled words (which is silly unless they're teaching a spelling class, but oh well). Lastly, try and meet with the professors whose classes you're most concerned about. Professors don't actually want you to fail or do poorly and will almost always reciprocate your inquiry with good faith efforts to help you succeed.
0

Savannah’s Answer

Hi! You can get good grades and change up your GPA but its take effort and time. If you study, work hard, ask questions when you need it you will do great. To help you lean the curriculum you can make flashcards and study them alot, you can ask you teacher questions after class or ask a friend if they understand it well. you can have study secession before a test to get better test grades. You can try to study a little everyday so you dont cram all of it the night before. you could try to explain and teach someone else so you and them can get the hang of it. Do the homework it will give you practice and good grades. Hopes this helps!
0