12

What does it take for someone with a Bachelor of Science to get a job in the finance industry?

I know it is not as common for someone with a B. Sc. to work in the finance industry but what are the most important skills I should work on to up my chances of getting a job in the finance industry eg. SAS, programming or financial modelling? #finance #financial-services #banking #investment-banking #corporate-finance #financial-analysis #commercial-banking

12

2

Christopher’s Answer

There is a wide variety of Financial Certifications. While I, as everyone else has also stated, would recommend studying for the CFA exams and passing them, there are a multitude of other certifications you can get.

1. Certified Financial Planner (CFP)

2. Certified Fund Specialist (CFS)

3. Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC)

4. Charter Investment Counselor (CIC)

5. Certified Investment Management Analyst (CIMA)

6. Chartered Market Technician (CMT)

7. Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

8. Personal Financial Specialist (PFS)

9. Chartered life Underwriter (CLU)

I would recommend researching a couple of job requirements for the type of career you are looking to have and find out which of the above stated certifications would help you get the position. I know that having multiple wouldn't hurt, but it is almost never necessary.

Thank you comment icon i agree with you are right Noah S.
2
2

Matt’s Answer

This clearly is a good partner question to your other question that I just answered. If you have a B.Sc., what is it in? Since you're speaking of modeling, is it in mathematics, computer science, statistics, engineering (of any kind)? Are you interested in working on quantitative trading strategies?

Thank you comment icon Don’t let your degree determine the field you work in. If you enjoy finance and want to do programming/modeling, go for it. Most of the education/knowledge comes from on the job training. If this is a big career change for you, you may lose status/pay, but it will be better for you in the long run. Start making connections with local companies, attending meetups, and studying about the field you are interested in. Priyank Shah
Thank you comment icon Having general knowledge of the field you want to enter with always be an asset when applying for a job (ie: programming for a financial company). Not only will it enable you to converse better with the end user, but your interest may take you down a different career path. Several of my colleagues, and my wife in fact, do not have degrees in Finance and yet have excelled in the industry. Studying for advanced certifications may sound tempting; however, most will not let you sit for an exam unless you already work for a financial company and/or have a certain number of years of experience in Finance. (CFP®, CFA, CIMA…). Chris Ryan, CFP®
Thank you comment icon yea i agree Noah S.
2
2

Karen’s Answer

Having a BS won't stop you from working in finance. Study for and pass the CFA exams.

In the mean time (it takes years to pass all levels of the CFA), you might also want to look at joining one of the Big 4 accounting firms (PwC, Deloitte, EY, KPMG). They offer some of the best (mostly on-the-job) training around and it is not uncommon for them to hire people with science degrees.

Thank you comment icon Hi I am kanika. good question .Thank you. kanika M.
2
1

Priyank’s Answer

Don’t let your degree determine the field you work in. If you enjoy finance and want to do programming/modeling, go for it. Most of the education/knowledge comes from on the job training. If this is a big career change for you, you may lose status/pay, but it will be better for you in the long run. Start making connections with local companies, attending meetups, and studying about the field you are interested in.

1
0

Stacy’s Answer

Studying for the CFA exam is also a strong way to prepare for work in the finance industry, and shows your commitment. Some friends of mine even studied for Level 1 CFA during their senior year of college.

0
0

Mirkasim’s Answer

Hi Flora, I am happy to answer this question as I can relate myself with it. I did B.Sc in Physics followed by Masters in Computers, and now have been working in the Financial Services industry in the software applications development area for last 10 years.

I would advice to focus on your computing skills - programming, algorithm, modeling, analytical skills etc. As long as you master these skill-set you can lend a good job definitely in financial services companies.

I wish you all the best.

0
0

Mauricio’s Answer

I have a friend who had a similar situation than you, he wanted to be a Financial but he studies a very different career, so what he start doing, a lot of trainings in finance, how to read p&l, how to do interpretation of finance information, once he start doing that, he makes a degree in finance, it took a long time to change what he was ready for, now is CFO in a good organization with presence in USA and Mexico, but the most important thing here it was not the studies or the things he had to do that conversion, or I called that metamorphosis, What was his dream? he wanted to be a finance guy and he wanted to work in something related to finance, so it does not matter what is your background, that you can create from Zero, the important thing is what you want and that can come to reality!!

0
0

Jeremy’s Answer

The degree you have shouldn't matter much in obtaining an entry level job in any field you choose (just as long as you have a college degree is all most companies require in order to hire you). From there, it is all on the job training and experience. I too had a B.S (in Political Science). I got an entry level job with a finance company. And, have been in the field for over 20 years now. The key is getting your foot in the door in the field you want to pursue. From there, after working for a few years and getting insight on which direction you would like to go, you can then continue education on line or in evenings for a masters or certifications.
Hope that helps and good luck!

0
0

Amala’s Answer

Great question and something I personally relate to. Don't let your degree stop you from pursuing your career interests. No matter what field you are in, its imperative that you enjoy what you do and haven't jumped on the finance bandwagon because others are doing the same. Always think about your core talents, natural ability, transferable skills and then work on it. I myself have completed BSc. Statistics and started off with banking operations- learnt about banking then moved onto risk management. The fields in finance are endless, so research is key to understand where you will fit in and then think about certifications to grow in it. Dont be afraid to start small.
0