Any tips on virtual interviews?

I'm a sophomore accounting major. It will be a PWC internship and I am a first generation student being both fluent in English and Spanish. #student #internships

8

Ella’s Answer

Make sure that you seem confident and friendly. Don't get super nervous because this will probably not be in your favor to be super stressed out! Overall, just be yourself and get excited about the interview and the chance to show them how awesome you are. First, make sure you have a quick elevator pitch. This is maybe 1 minute long and you are telling them a little bit about yourself, your best qualities, and why you want the job. Also, google information about PWC so you can ask meaningful questions and show that you are really interested in the company. Prepare your answers to some questions that they are likely to ask, like "when was a time you worked well on a team?", "when was a time your ethics were questioned and what did you do?", "what is your worst and best qualities?", and "why do you want this job?". You can also bring up how you are a first-generation college student because this shows that you are striving to improve yourself and you care a lot about education and your future. Make sure you mention any qualities about yourself that you think set you apart. For example, if you have previous experience with accounting or an internship. if you have volunteered with a local finance non-profit, if you have won awards for accounting competitions, or if you have any financial or computer science certifications.

Thank you, I greatly appreciate it ! I will defiantly research the company and go into it as confident as I can be. Rafael A.

2

Fernando’s Answer

Just like any interview go with a calm mind. Treat the interview as if it were a conversation, don't be afraid to mingle a bit with the interviewer. In terms of the virtual aspect, makes sure the room is well lit. Be mindful of any noise that can be picked up by the microphone. If you live with roommates be sure to make it clear at what time the interview is taking place, so as not to be disturbed. Keep the camera nice and centered on you. Be confident when answering questions and don't be afraid to highlight your strengths and expertise.

Thank you! Appreciate the time and help. I will focus on practicing being calm and myself throughout the interview. Rafael A.

1

Elizabeth’s Answer

Calm and focused, and watch out for a pet peeve of many interviewers - eye contact - make certain you are not looking at the screen, but at the camera if a video interview. Good luck!

Thank you ! Rafael A.

1

Simeon’s Answer

I'd recommend talking about your background and unique stories that you have. PwC has a storytelling culture, so if you have a unique one, it will definitely catch the attention of your interviewer.

Thank you ! Rafael A.

1

Ksenia’s Answer

Hi Rafael,

Great question! It's very smart of you to learn more about how to prepare for the interview in this new reality.

I would suggest the following:

1) Find out what software you'll use and test it beforehand with your family and friends. Learn how to mute/unmute, share the screen, etc. Learn how to use the mobile app in case your wi-fi breaks. Prepare headphones/headset for a better quality of the sound. Charge all your devices. You don't need extra stress on interview day :)

2) You don't have the second chance to make a first impression: look neat and professional, business casual dress-code will work great. Choose neutral background. Provide enough light to make your face visible. Make sure there are no sounds in the room. Camera of your laptop/computer should be in front of your eyes (not below because it will create an impression you're looking down on the recruiter which doesn't feel good).

3) Video interview do not allow to read body language well enough so if you need to make some notes during the interview - let recruiters know that you'll be doing it so you'll have to look down sometimes (you don't want them to think you're distracted or not interested when not looking into the camera).

4) You might want to go an extra mile and prepare your portfolio in ppt or video format which will feature your key accomplishments related to the position you're interviewing for. This is something not so many people still do but it always creates an amazing impression on the recruiters.

Wishing you the best of luck!

Thank you ! Those are some great tips you just gave me and will really incorporate them in my interview ! Rafael A.

1

Nikki’s Answer

Do you have a career center at your college? That can be a great resource when preparing for interviews.

My university offers the opportunity to do mock interviews with a career advisor to prepare for virtual interviews. If this is available to you, it would be a great way to practice and figure out what to work on before your interview. If your school does not offer this, maybe you could do a mock interview with a friend or family member.

Good luck! I hope your interview(s) go well!!

0

Anthony’s Answer

Hey Rafael,

Here are some tips for you:

1) Get clear on the details - platform you will be using, time zone, start time, etc.

2) Have your documents propped up next to the computer so that you can look off from the screen, not down in your lap.

3) Ensure that the background is neutral and the area where you are is quiet

4) Make sure that the only time you should be interrupted is if there is a 911 emergency

5) DRESS UP

6) Start off strong

7) Have impeccable manners (say please and thank you)

8) Make sure there is excitement in your voice

9) Talk slowly

10) Actively listen

11) Jot down important notes

12) Send a thank you note

13) Follow up if you don't hear back

Wishing you all the best

Thank you for the helpful tips ! Rafael A.

0