There is no specific entrance exam for Physician Assistant programs. You need a Bachelor's degree, preferably in a science field. You need Anatomy, Physiology, Organic and Inorganic Chemistry courses. You will also need Patient Contact hours, which can be either a paid or volunteer position. I suggest the following:
Vickey recommends the following next steps:
- Pick a few PA schools that you would like to attend. Contact the schools to get their exact requirements.
- If your college degree didn't include the courses I mentioned above, you need to take them before you apply.
- Shadow a PA. If you don't know any PAs, contact the nearest PA program and ask them to recommend someone that will accept shadows. Shadow for more than a day. A week would be good.
- Choose a place to work or volunteer that puts you in direct contact with patients. For example, nursing home, hospital, urgent care, ER.
- Get all your ducks in a row. Be able to explain how you will meet financial and family obligations while in school.