For someone who might become a pharmacist at some point could they start off with a bachelors in biology, or do they need to have a bachelors in biochemistry or macrobiology?

Asked Decatur, Georgia

I am a rising sophomore in college and I may want to become a pharmacist at some point but I am currently unsure. Should I go for a biology major or should I aim for a biochemistry or macrobiology major? #pharmacy #pharmacists #pharmaceuticals

Huong’s Answer

Updated Garland, Texas

I think choosing a major is based on your interest and preferences, the pharmacy school is not big on what major you have, as long as you take all the pre-requisites classes, check the schools you want to apply and see the lists. I knew lots of people do double major on biology and business (since my school offerred) cause there is not a lot of job you can find with bio major so think about career option before you choose major is also important, good luck!

Ekaterina’s Answer

Updated Danville, Illinois
Actually, your major doesn't matter as long as you have taken all the pre-requisite courses. Mine was Chemistry, but I'd had classmates who'd gone to Pharm school without finishing their bachelor's (about 25% of class, actually), or graduated with Bachelors in something like Computer Science - totally unrelated to Bio/Chem/Health Sciences!

Shawn’s Answer

Updated North Carolina, North Carolina

I know a few pharmacists that were biology majors before going to pharmacy school. Heres a list of the Pharm. D prerequisites that are accepted at many programs in the US. Find two or three PharmD programs that are of interest and look at their entry requirements.

This is from the UNC Pharm.D program: https://pharmacy.unc.edu/academics/the-pharmd/prerequisites/

Math and Science Prerequisites General Chemistry I with lab
General Chemistry II with lab
Organic Chemistry I with lab Organic Chemistry II with lab Principles of Biology with lab
Human Anatomy/Physiology with lab
Microbiology with lab
Physics I with lab (calculus based preferred)
Physics II with lab (calculus based preferred) Calculus of One Variable
Statistics
Biological Chemistry