Hamid W.’s Avatar

Hamid W.

921

28

How hard is it to get accepted to UC Berkley and what gpa and SAT/ACT is required or normally accepted?

I am a junior in high school. I am looking to apply to colleges next summer and just wanted to get a heads up to see what I was aiming for. #college #university #berkeley #uc

UC Berkeley and other universities look for students who are well-rounded. This means that there's not a specified GPA or SAT/ACT score that they require. I've heard both ends where someone with a low GPA received admission to UC Berkeley and someone else with a high SAT score who did not get in. It really depends on your overall application. My advice is to work hard to get a high GPA and a high SAT/ACT score, but if it's not the grade or score you want, don't be discouraged. Also make sure you spend time on your personal statements for your application and extracurricular activities. Go through drafts of your statement and have others read it and give you advice. No matter what, work hard and do your best!

This professional recommends the following next steps:

Last updated Jun 19 at 18:33

UC Berkely is a very rigorous college to get into. They're going to want top SAT scores 1500-1600 and They have most selective acceptance rates and have trends of accepting less than 10% of applicants - yikes! But don't get discouraged! If you work hard and begin the college process with a very intential mindset you can set yourself up for success early on. Get good grades, participate in extra curriculars, volunteer, prepare for the SAT often and early (to ensure your scores will be high) and you will be on the right track! Collegeboard.org is also a great resource for this! I poured through the pages of universities all over the U.S. when I was a senior in high school. Collegeboard was my go-to site! They put all of the information in one place and it is very easy to use. They even have various filters you can apply to see only colleges that have programs you are interested. To determine academic rigor, look at the admissions requirements, G.P.A. of past admitted applicants, SAT/ACT scores, class rank etc. This will give you an idea of what scores and grades you need to be accepted. However, don't be discouraged your application will be reviewed based on the full picture! College-board will help you get an idea of what is most important to the specific school you are applying to.

Last updated Apr 04 at 19:27

The links below have some information you might find helpful.

http://student-tutor.com/blog/how-to-get-in-uc-berkeley-admissions-requirements/ http://admissions.berkeley.edu/studentprofile

Last updated Sep 17 '16 at 17:55
Hi Hamid - I would check out the links that Wael provided above and shoot for a score within those ranges (or above!). But of course even if you are slightly below the ranges you can still get in as long as you have other attributes to your application that stand out. Do as well as you can on the standardized tests, gpa in school, but also focus on other personal interests that could help you stand out (ie. playing an instrument, sports, research, community service, starting a business, etc.) Good luck and have fun in highschool.
Last updated Nov 10 '17 at 13:28