What is FAFSA?

4

Hey there so I had a few questions about FAFSA and what it is and when I should apply? I'm a freshman in highschool but I want to get a head start but I don't know if right now is too early. #college #university #college-admissions #financial-aid #grants #fafsa

Hello Anita! Welcome to Freshman year! As a freshman in high school, you wouldn't need to worry about that just yet. When you're a senior in high school, you would go to the website fafsa.ed.gov to apply for financial aid for college! Whether if it's a university, state, or community college, you can apply for it. FAFSA states for Free Application for Federal Student Aid. When you are about to apply for college, resources that you need to complete the fafsa application are your social security, your taxes, your school information, and many more informations. Check out the website fafsa.ed.gov for more information! Good luck in high school and make sure you take the SAT and/or ACT to compliment your college applications! Joey C.
Welcome to high school! Joey is right! For example, if you are graduading in 2020 you should probably fill out your FAFSA application during January of that year. Each year around the same time you would have to apply for FAFSA again. For your income you can use your parents 2018 tax papers and than go back in later on when your parents have filed their 2019 taxes and make corrections(no harm will be done) Good luck and enjoy high school! Judith G.
4

Garrett’s Answer

1

FAFSA, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, only applies once you have started the college admissions process. Typically you won't fill out the FAFSA until you apply for college - even then, most wait until after having been accepted before filing.

Your high school guidance counselor or the admissions counselors at the colleges you apply for should be able to help you decide when is the right time to file the FAFSA.

1