I’m class of 2019 and I genuinely don’t know when I need to start applying to college, what will guarantee a full ride or where to find scholarships that will cover everything for school.

Updated Houston, Texas

I want to go to a really prestigious school and I know my family has no money to put towards my education. A helpful grant or something similar is what I need but I feel like i’m under qualified and I don’t know where to find them.

#college #college-admissions #financial-aid #grants #scholarships

Jordan’s Answer

Updated San Jose, California

Great question Nia. I'm sorry no one's answered it yet! Definitely be applying for college by end of summer, beginning of fall of this year(2018) for the 2019 school year. In regards to scholarships I thought I'd share a few links to other relevant Q&A on CareerVillage.org that should be super helpful for you to read through in regards to scholarships. I've included tips in the "next steps" section below a list of trustworthy sites you should create accounts on if you haven't already (that have good scholarships!). Here are tips that could help you in your preparation of finding and submitting for scholarships:

1. Dedicate a minimum of 1 hour a day for a few weeks to applying for scholarships and it'll go a long way.
  2. Be thoughtful about your entries, just doing the bare minimum isn't going to land you any scholarships. It's better to spend more time on each entry to ensure it's well thought out than to rush through to try to enter a bunch. Quality over quantity!!
  3. I recommend writing one STELLAR essay. Chances are you'll use it for every scholarship application (potentially only having to make minor edits dependent on what the prompt is). Tell a story that clearly represents who you are and what's important to you. The goal of the essay should be to let the reader in to your life. If you can do that in a genuine and meaningful way you'll be considered, I promise! A couple of ideas: Write about the hardest thing you've had to go through in your life or what makes you so passionate about something. Be sure to include lessons you've learned and what you hope to do with that knowledge/experience later in life.
  4. Spend more time finding scholarships that directly pertain to YOU so it cuts down the competition. Look for scholarships in your local community, or that are just for young women, for example. Know what career path you want to pursue? There are probably dozens of scholarship opportunities that are only for students aspiring to follow a specific career path (e.g. STEM, entertainment, sports, design, etc. etc.)

Relevant Q&A on CareerVillage.org you should read:

What financial support can I find to help me pay for college?

How to stand out when applying for scholarships?

What are the chances of winning scholarships?

Jordan recommends the following next steps:

• Know what school you're attending? Talk to students who go there to see if they have any insights on how to pay for school/what grants or scholarships to apply for.
  • Look for scholarships from bigger companies like Coca-Cola and Taco Bell. Oftentimes they won't list on bigger sites and therefore less youth apply.
  • Create an account on Cappex and Niche.com