Fulltime at local company or internship at multinational company?

I want to work at big company and they only offer internship, should i take intern or just get full time job at local company? #internship #job-search

10

Jonathan’s Answer

When I was an undergrad and a graduate, I did not do any internships. When it came time for me to try to obtain a position in the field I wanted to work in, I kept receiving emails stating “we went with someone more qualified”. Luckily, I was able to get into a program for recent graduates due to the networking I was doing. Like they say “sometimes it’s not what you know, but who you know”. With that being said, I would recommend an internship especially early on. This will allow you to gain exposure in the “big company” level you are trying to be a part of. Also, the knowledge you gain you’ll be able to take with you anywhere. What will be the most important thing for you to do beside shine, is network. Make sure to put yourself out there and be known by many different people. Also remember that many times, a company will hire their interns after the intern period is over.

0

Bessie’s Answer

Hello,

One of the biggest perks of being a student is having the opportunity to find internships. As you can see, many corporations do not extend this opportunity once you are graduated.

Internships allow the company to coach you and for you to get a better understanding of how the company works. As an intern, many full-time employees will be more willing to give you guidance and career advice during your time at the company. When I started my career as an intern, I was able to set up different coffee meetings every week with leaders across the business. This helped me understand their roles and various opportunities if I stayed at this company.

Oftentimes, these internships can also lead to a full-time offer as well. This is what happened with me :)

0

Zeeshan’s Answer

Hi there

I would recommend to start with an internship to learn how things are practically done in an organization . Moreover exposure at a multinational will give you many opportunities to learn & interact with different departments , meet people with different backgrounds & understand that working culture before you actually join as full time to work either in local firm or multinational firm

I joined a big firm as internee at the beginning of my career which helped me a lot in understanding work culture & later on provided me a strong base in my professional transitions

All best !!

Kind Regards

0

Apoorva’s Answer

There are many tradeoffs and things to consider. Assuming both opportunities are in areas that interest you and you would like to make a career out of, a full time opportunity will give you stability and an income you can rely on. Also full time employees are typically assigned to the more important deliverables. An internship, on the other hand, will give you a chance to test the waters before committing to anything long term. So, it really depends on what you're looking forward to at this time in your life.

0

Abhi’s Answer

Ask them if the internship could lead to a a full-time position. Do they have a history of hiring interns and then converting them?

0

Sandra’s Answer

Congrats on these opportunities! I recommend creating a table and weigh the pros and cons. Factors to consider include:

- What do you most value? A big company name on your resume? Experience?
- What is the compensation/benefits (pay, vacation days)
- What opportunities will these jobs/internships give you?
- Will your job/internship allow you to grow in your company?
- What responsibilities will you have?
- How do you learn?
- What environment do you thrive in the best (small groups vs. big?)
- What does your "gut" or intuition tell you?

One thing to keep in mind is sometimes it's better to start at a local/smaller company because you have the ability to work on more projects and get more skillsets. You can then transfer these skills when you work at a bigger company. Note that this observation is based on my experience - I don't starting my career at a smaller company because I held more responsibilities and learned new skillsets that ended up benefitting my career when I transitioned to an international company.

0

Kabir’s Answer

There is no right choice - an internship at a larger organisation will let you see how things are done professionally (usually) and give you a better view of business processes, and how the organisation connects together. You also have more leeway as an intern to ask questions and learn about things outside of your space. The company may also have better experience in handling/managing interns if they do this regularly, and finally, you may be offered a role at the end of it if you impress them.

Conversely, a smaller local company may give you more responsibility as you are joining for a job, not an internship, and smaller businesses tend to be ones where you can make an impact early on.

My own career started out in a larger firm (multinational), and then switched to a smaller one (regional), and then back to a larger one (international) so your choices shouldn't limit your future prospects.

0

Mayada’s Answer

I would suggest the whichever role that you're sure that's the work you would like to continue doing. If both are the same type of work then I would suggest the international company internship as this would open doors for you.

0

Adriana’s Answer

In my opinion, you should take into consideration what would make you grow more in your career, is the internship a dream of yours and you believe that would help you in the long-haul?

Can you afford to take that opportunity? If so, I do believe that you should follow the opportunity that values and gives you the most of it.

0

Edwin’s Answer

Hello,

I would recommend you to apply for an internship because you would be able to understand the duties and responsibilities that you liked/ disliked. This was really helpful for me because I am understanding the types of fields that I am interested in.

Wishing you all the best!

Best,
Edwin

0