How to explore multiple careers before committing?

Similar to college majors, are there ways to explore your options before committing to one? What's the best way to do that? #communications

4

Gabby’s Answer

Hi Phuong,

Great question!

A great option is to look into various internships/ practicums during your last few years in high school and in college. Apply and interview for a variety of industries that interest you and "try it before you buy it." Having exposure to various industries will help you decipher what you enjoyed, disliked, work hours, working conditions, compensation, commute, travel, etc.

I would also suggest connecting with others who are in industries that interest you via LinkedIn or other professional sites. Having a quick 15-20 minute phone/video discussion about what someone does can give you great insight into that industry. If you don't already have a LinkedIn profile, I highly recommend creating one. It's a professional networking site and can help you build connections easily.

Also talk with family and friends about where they work. You may be surprised with what you find out, which could help you make the best decision for yourself.

2

Victoria’s Answer

I agree with everything Gaby said! The only thing I would add would be to look into your school's alumni center and set up calls with alumni in different areas that you are interested in. Alumni are always so eager to talk to students who go to their alma mater and it could provide you with a great connection that could eventually lead to a great opportunity (plus you are never too young to start building your network).

1

Serena’s Answer

Hi Phuong,
You can certainly explore multiple careers before committing to one.
You can either experiment while you are still studying,
Or you can try out different careers after you graduate.

I would suggest the former option - to explore while you are still studying,
This way you can save time and focus on your desired career right upon graduation.
The best option to apply for internship or job shadowing on your few area of interests,
Having first hand experience on how it is to work in that field is not only great for your resume,
But it is also a great tasting experience to see if you like to establish your future career there as well.

Alternatively, you can speak to people who are already in that career and ask any questions that you have,
And evaluate whether you would aspire to be like them in the future.

However if you prefer to explore after graduation, this is perfectly fine too;
Sometimes you need longer than a summer to evaluate whether you like that career,
And you can always change career whenever you want.

Regards,
Serena

1

Chiquita’s Answer

I agree with all the advice provided. Internships offer you first hand exposure to working in the field of your choice. Communications is a very broad field, so I would suggest narrowing down to maybe 2 or 3 that you are really interested in and focus on finding internships in those areas.

0