What is it like to be on a robotics team?

Updated Kearny, New Jersey

At this moment I am interested in robotics, so I was just wondering what is going to happen as someone joins a robotics team at their high school or college. In my high school, we do not have a robotics team, but we do have the technology student association. I wanted to know what there is to look forward to once I get to college. #robotics #teamwork #robotics-engineer #career #engineering

Simon’s Answer

Updated Greensboro, Georgia

Hi Gloria,

mom familiar with TSA (I’m a volunteer judge). I’m surprised that you couldn’t pull a robotics team together through TSA. There was a lot of interest in robotics generally. As far as college goes there are science projects/teams at the college level also. There are many national competitions for engineering students. Keep in mind that robotics (getting a machine to do something) is basically a controls class, and lots of industries use controllers. Chemical plants control processes and cars and planes use programs to control their engines as well as travel. A big controls area is in safety systems. Keep you mind open to other industries besides the robotic industry. Although I’m not a programmer, I have programmed many processes in my career from water softeners and deionizing units to temperature and batch controls. It gives one great satisfaction getting a machine to perform s task automatically. Although many of the controls engineers that worked with me were chemical engineers, you can approach programming from several directions (electrical and even mechanical). Make sure your college has a controls program if possible. There are also many controls manufacturers that have schools and classes on programming. I wish you all the best on your career.

Simon recommends the following next steps:

• Pick a school that has programming courses
  • Get on a college level robotics or engineering team.
  • Talk to a counselor or controls engineeer about a controls/robotic career.