Is it ever too late to change majors?

I'm a very indecisive person, so I'm worried that in college I will be stuck with a major that I don't like anymore. majors

6

Alexa’s Answer

Hi Katrina. I think how you're feeling is extremely common among people your age. It feels like whatever you choose as you major is what you have to do for the rest of your life. I think you'll be happy to know that 80% of college students change their majors at least once, including myself! I was in your shoes in high school; feeling like whatever major I selected going into freshmen year of college was what I would be for the rest of my life. It turned out that wasn't the case at all. College is where you get the chance to explore different classes and you will start to learn what you like and don't like. The entire process will help guide you to figure out what your real passion is in life, and what will make you happy. So to answer your question, I would argue its never too late the change majors. In fact, even after college, it's never too late to change your path. There are people in the world who have degrees in one industry, and decide they want to pursue something completely different and that's okay. I'd urge you to remember that just because you put time/money/effort into something, doesn't mean you have to keep pursuing it if it doesn't make you happy. I wish you the best with your college experience!
1

Brayden’s Answer

Hello!

I know you are not alone when not being sure if you are choosing the correct career path and worried about getting the wrong degree. Whats great about a lot of colleges now a days is that depending on what degree you are transferring from and too many of your credits should be able to transfer. Now obviously if you transfer from a degree like art to engineering the number of transferable courses will be limited just because those two discipline are quite different. But going from accounting to finance, many of those classes are transferable and working with your college advising office, they should be able to tell you exactly what classes transfer and what dont. One of the things I would suggest for you since it sounds like you might not be sure what career path you want to go down is to look at community colleges. Here the courses will be much cheaper, class sizes much smaller and you will really be able to connect with courses and professors to ultimately guide you to the career path you want. Because these classes are much cheaper than a university you dont have to worry about taking a class outside your degree because its not as financially damaging.
In the end a lot of students share you're fear of going down a path and it ending up as a dead end but with hard work and patients you will find your path.

Hopefully this was helpful! Good luck!
0

Frank’s Answer

It is certainly difficult to know exactly what major is right for you when you begin college, and I think most people will agree that it is quite common to change your major. While the journey to get to your degree might involve changing your major, it is the end result that matters. For jobs that require a four year degree, companies look for a degree; it doesn't matter if you changed majors or even how many years it took to get it.

When I started college, I chose Computer Science as my major. I later changed my major to International Business. As a result, it took me five years to get my undergraduate degree. Then I found a career in Internal Audit. My point is that it is rare for someone to know exactly what major they want to get when they start college and even if they do, they still might not get a job in that area. Don't stress too much about it. The key is to stay motivated and keep learning. That will make you an asset to any company regardless of your major.
0

Cameron’s Answer

While it is never truly too late to change your major, keep in mind that it becomes more difficult to graduate on time the later you make that decision. However, this shouldn't deter you from changing your major if you are unhappy with it! Your college advisors should work with you to complete all the requirements in a timely fashion.
0

Traci’s Answer

Hi Katrina! I remember feeling exactly like this in college. I remember thinking, how am I supposed to choose a major to get a career I'm not even sure I'm going to want?

I started out at a private college as a Business major, but as soon as I started taking business courses I figured out this path wasn't going to be right for me. I switched my major to Communications, but those courses didn't seem like a good fit for me either. After considering other majors, I not only switched my major to Criminal Justice, but I transferred to a university that offered this degree program. I graduated from that university with a Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice.

Some people might know from the very start what they want to do after college but like you and me, we need to explore some of the fields before finding that perfect fit. And that's OK! Try not to put so much pressure on yourself. It's never too late to switch your major.
0

Simeon’s Answer

I'd suggest keeping your options open and choose a broad major or try double majoring. It's technically never too late to double major, but the later you switch, the harder it will be to graduate on time. Honestly, it's better to graduate with an okay match and explore careers after graduation rather than put off graduation indefinitely. If you're stuck, I'd highly recommend going with a general business degree such as accounting, finance, or marketing. They offer specific skill sets that you can use in a variety of settings, so you're much less likely to get pigeon holed into a single job type. You're probably going to want to hop around between companies after you graduate, so keep your options open and keep teaching yourself new skills to ensure you stay marketable.
0