How should you start in the Graphic Design industry

I've found graphic design as something interesting and I wanted to know how to get started. #art #design #graphic-design

Alwyn’s Answer

Find a great school where you’ll learn a lot of skills that will make you a professional (emphasis on professional) graphic designer. Draw as a way to express your ideas and work out creative solutions. remember you’re a problem solver and solutions provider. Take part in as many paid internships that you can to learn from people with a great industry reputation. Read books and articles on design, listen to design podcasts, watch design videos, see the movie Helvetica, attend meetups, seminars, presentations and lectures on design. Leran everything you can about type. Do design tutorials and completely immerse yourself in design after all its all around you, you just have to open your eyes and see.

Thank you for the fast response and the very detailed explanation!
Thanks, this is helpful!
Thanks, this helped me so much.

Vivian’s Answer

Hi Manuel, I had the same though when I took my first computer arts class my Senior year in high school. That summer, I took several design, media, computer courses at a local city college to feel out the classes. It was there that I really knew what I really liked to do and where field would fit my personality. I think that would help you. Good luck, Vivian

Thanks Vivian!

Danielle’s Answer

I am not a visual designer but I do work with several visual designers in my day-to-day as a marketer. I would suggest looking into AIGA. AIGA is a one of the largest professional membership organizations for designers (visual, graphics) and they have several local chapters and student groups which you might find helpful. The student group is focused on college students but I bet that they would provide you with a lot of information and possibly introduce you to people in your area that could get you involved in volunteer activities. This is the site:http://www.aiga.org/

Rebecca’s Answer

You can begin with taking a few online courses to ease your way into the industry. I am currently taking online classes through UCLA Extension- studying Design Communication Arts. This has been a great program with fantastic instructors! I have found the coursework to be fun, challenging and engaging .

Check it out: https://www.uclaextension.edu/pages/fos/ArtPrograms.aspx