Do i need to be good in all Adobe creative cloud to be a graphic designer?

8
8

Dexter’s Answer

2
Hi Kelly,

The answer really depends.

But I can tell you that I used to manage a graphics designer, and although the designer I worked with was well versed in most Creative Cloud applications, what we used 90% of the time were Photoshop and Illustrator. The other 5% of the time he used InDesign, and the rest of the time he used Sketch (non Adobe app).

He used Photoshop for logo creation work, working with assets, and some layout work. Illustrator was for creating logo and other vector assets. InDesign was for creating posters and books. Finally, I think he created one or two things on AfterEffects, but we didn't do that much in video/animated works.

Personally, if I could advise you, I would suggest that you get really, really good at one or two of these tools instead of being mediocre in all of them. During interviews, I am looking for someone that really knows the key tools that they will be using (in my case, Photoshop and Illustrator), and not someone that is okay in all those tools. Think of it this way, knowing all the tools will get you into more interviews, but being excellent with the few tools that you'll be using in your job will allow you to pass the interview.

I wish you the best of luck, and try to build a great portfolio to wow the future interviewers. I personally give extra points to anyone that volunteers their work for nonprofits, so perhaps look into volunteering to build a portfolio.

Cheers!
2

0
Hi Kelly,

I've worked with several graphic designers during my career. They seemed be experts on Photoshop and Illustrator but their expertise on the other products that make up the creative cloud varied significantly from no knowledge and experts.

One tip that I found helpful was to look at the job sites for the type of job that would interest you to see what skills and knowledge are required. You'll quickly narrow it down to a few tools that seem to be common across various employers. Become expert in those tools and develop an awesome portfolio built on those tools to demostrate your competence and you'll do well.

Once you get your foot in the door, you'll be able to pick up new tools through your on-the-job experiences. I had no experience with InDesign but after working with a designer who was good at it, I learned InDesign as well.

Rich
0

Veronica’s Answer

0
No, but it depends on what field you are looking at as to what programs you would need to know. I feel like generally speaking, Photoshop and Illustrator are key programs to know for graphic design. But since I work at a magazine, InDesign is actually the most important to my job (with Photoshop being 2nd to it). I have found it very helpful to have at least some experience in most of the Creative Cloud programs, but as long as you have a good handle on key programs that jobs are requesting as experience, then you're on the right track.

And I have a little secret for you...even after working over 14 years, full-time at a job that requires InDesign expertise, I STILL don't know everything there is to know about InDesign. And that's ok! That's what Google is for. As a professional, you should be constantly learning and adapting to technology as it changes and as programs get updates. So it's almost impossible to ever know every single function of a program. But you definitely need a good foundation before you start any job, unless they're willing to train you.
0

James’s Answer

0
Depends what kind of design you are looking at.

I think it is a good idea to have an understanding of how the basic Creative Suite programs work like Photoshop/illustrator so you can leverage that in your design/art and also adds more credibility when you are looking for a design job. Often designers/design houses will use Adobe applications anyway and will have an expectation you know how to use it.
0

Mark’s Answer

0
Hey Kelly,

The short answer is no, I would try to think about what type of design you would like to go into. I find the most useful is photoshop, InDesign, and illustrator.

But not all companies use these programs or have access to them, I would also look into other programs that are more relative available.
0

Valerie’s Answer

0
Yes, overall it's ideal. However when you are starting out as a junior designer, the expectation isn't for you to be a master at all of them. Depending on the field you're going into you'll want Photoshop for overall editing, Illustrator for printing/packaging and InDesign for magazines, books and long-form printing.

I'd recommend doing an at-home Youtube course (there are so many) to get the lay of the land and learn as much as possible. Patience will get you there!

0

Aaron’s Answer

0
Depends.

It's a tool. It's like do you need to be really good at the violin to be a great a musician? You may not be good at the violin, but you may sing really well, so you could still be a great musician.

So you could get good at another tool like Sketch or Figma, or drawing.

So I think you should get good at a tool, but not the Adobe Suite specifically.
0