What are the steps to be a successful sociologist?
I am a junior in High School but I interested in finding out more about the different steps that are required to become a good sociologist.
#career-paths #careers #sociology
Muhammad Anwar’s Answer
So, I'm not currently a sociologist but I was a Sociology major back in college. What I've taken from this are the following points:
- You must have an interest in Sociology, inquisitive and natural curiosity about the people around you.
- You must have an open mind, able to evaluate and take in different point of views from different people from varying background.
- You will be needed to do a lot of research to prove a certain hypothesis. You must be able to approach the subject without any bias of your own, regardless of your personal experience (it is harder that it sounds)
- You must love to read. Half of the time, you will be required to read up on works of past researchers and sociologist, use their work as reference to support your thesis.
- For research purposes, you need to have good communication skills; for when you are conducting interviews with subjects, language skills; cause you will be writing thesis and papers and statistic knowledge; when you need to tabulate survey results for researches.
Those are just some of the points that I can think of at the top of my head and I wish you all the best!
Make sure you not only have an interest in sociology, but that you're passionate about the subject matter.
If you teach, care about students.
If you teach, show your enthusiasm. It's often infectious.
Be humble and open to learning from others, especially students.