What degree should I aim for in college to become a pharmacist?

Asked Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a senior in high school who is interested in becoming a pharmacist one day. However, I do not know where to start in terms of choosing a college degree that suits the occupation. Any suggestions and answers are welcome. #pharmacy #pharmacists #pharmaceuticals #pharmacist #retail-pharmacy

Katherine’s Answer

Updated Kirkland, Washington

A science degree that matches many of the pharmacy prerequisites is helpful. It should also be one you are truly interested in so that if you change your mind you are still on track for something you really want to do.

I have undergraduate degrees in Nutrition and Zoology. Both were great prep for pharm school.

Dr. Anderson

Updated Mine Hill Township, New Jersey

Pharm D is the only degree that gets you to be a pharmacist. 6 year program.

Updated New York, New York

Many universities and colleges offer a pre-pharmacy program. Also there are several pharmacy schools that offer admissions into the our pharmacy program . Look into Massachusetts College of pharmacy and Philadelphia College of pharmacy as well as Albany College of pharmacy. Basic science courses will be needed for acceptance into a pharmacy program. Such as biology chemistry organic chemistry physics and math courses . These prerequisites can always be done at any college or university including community college. Best of luck, Regards