Alyssa C.’s Avatar

Alyssa C.

61

1

How do you think the increasing environmental issues of the planet will impact the field of environmental science and studies?

I have been interested in studying the environment since my freshman year in high school when I took my first environmental biology class and wonder how the ever increasing issues that the environment today is facing will end up changing various parts of the study. For example, job availability, wages, areas of study, and every day requirements or jobs of a person in the field of environmental studies or science. #environmental-science #environmental #environmental-engineering #environmental-services

Environmental science jobs are definitely on the rise particularly as they relate to air and water quality, "clean energy", site remediation, and climate resilience. The field is also increasingly multidisciplinary so don't be surprised if you find yourself working side by side with other scientists, engineers, politicians, urban planners, architects and public health professionals. If you're looking for a field of study I would strongly recommend environmental engineering.

Last updated May 11 '17 at 10:16

The stresses modern society places on the planet seem likely to elevate the importance of environmental science and studies in the years to come. In addition, I expect that in time, enviromental scientists will be deployed to other planets like Mars as we seek to colonize and establish human life there.

Last updated May 27 at 20:09
I agree with other comments - environmental science jobs are on the rise. Clean energy is a hot topic and well as the idea of ecological services of a particular environment. For example, shellfish aquaculture (e.g. oysters/clams/mussels), not only provide food for humans but they can help clean the water and provide foraging substrate for juvenile fish. Understanding these ecological services and the role they play is an increasing field.
Last updated Nov 27 '17 at 17:42

The environmental field is growing - what was once a small field several decades ago has steadily grown as the connection between the environment, human health, and the economy has become more clear. There will be more jobs in the future. Wages are commensurate with education, experience, and job type. The current, hot topic is "resilience" (to flooding, and other natural disasters). However, all of the core environmental areas will remain relevant and viable for a career (water, air, waste, etc.). I recommend you select a traditional science major, then earn a masters with an environmental focus. Look at job postings that are of interest to you and the lists of prerequisites; you will notice a focus on traditional science backgrounds, even in more "environmental" focused positions. Best of luck.

Last updated Jan 23 '17 at 10:25