What job is best for someone who likes to help others and dislikes public speaking?

5

Hi Tayra!

A little background about myself first. My first job lasted 25 years. I shunned promotional opportunities that would require public speaking. For 25 years. I was terrified of it. I kept telling new employees to meet their fears head-on, meanwhile, I dodged mine.

My second job came at a time when jobs were scarce, and I really needed a job. Any job. It was at a Workforce Office, working with jobseekers. I was required to teach a one-hour class, 2-3 x a week. Once I got over the nervousness ( about 2 years! ) I started settling into the role. Since jobseekers were required to be there, and didn't want to be, I started finding ways I could incorporate useful information into the otherwise dry presentation, without exceeding the allotted one-hour time period. I played around with it a bit. I actually started to enjoy it. No, I'm still not comfortable with it, but, if I have to speak, I can.

Why am I telling you all of this? Because, you should meet your fears head-on. It will give you a sense of self-confidence that you wouldn't believe! There is an organization known as Toastmasters that meets for the purpose of allowing members the opportunity to practice public speaking. Look into that. Look into taking speech classes at school. Learn about things that let you structure your speech with your audience in mind, how to salvage mistakes, etc. Please don't let this fear of public speaking hold you back. As I look back on my first 25 years, there were so many missed opportunities. Please don't repeat my mistake!

Kim

Thank you! Tayra D.

You're welcome! I know I didn't answer your question, I just want you to be able to excel more than I did, to not be held back by a fear of public speaking! You can do it! Kim Igleheart

0

Stuart’s Answer

If you are ok with talking to groups of children, you can explain teacher. If you want more 1-1, then pick a subject area that you are passionate about and major in it and look to become a tutor. There are companies that specialize in tutoring, especially math

Thank you! Tayra D.

0

Alisha’s Answer

Biased opinion, but I also love helping people but in a more digital sense. I am in User Experience (UX) Design. We help make digital experience smoother for anyone and everyone! User experience is quite literally empathizing with how users interact with websites, mobile applications, etc. I even get to learn and implement accessibility standards into my design to make sure every single person is accounted for.

Thank you! Tayra D.

0

Jada’s Answer

My best answer would be to ask yourself HOW you want to help others. You can help others in any field/occupation. Find your strengths or skills you’re good at! Then, find a job that allows you the room to thrive and expand that skill set. Best of luck to you!

0

Yolancia’s Answer

I think you can still help people one-on-one without having to publicly speak in front of groups of people. Liking to help people is very very broad and covers lots of career paths.

0