What is the major difference for someone who majors in biology instead of Pre-Med?

I am a high school junior and I am trying to decide which major/school would be better for me. #college #biology #pre-med #forensic

5

Catherine’s Answer

You can major in almost any subject and still be Pre-Med. Pre-Med means you are preparing for medical school. To apply to medical school, you have to take certain classes in college. Many of those classes overlap with the classes you need to take for a Biology major, but you could study something different, for example, English, and still take all the Pre-Med classes and apply to medical school. Some colleges offer a "Pre-Med" major, which I believe includes all of the required classes for application to medical school and other classes related to medicine. Either way, you still have to go to medical school after college to become a doctor.

Thank you for the information. I didn't know this before. Briana C.

3

Pre-med is not usually a major. It just means you plan to take the MCAT and apply to medical school.

Typical medical school prerequisites include:
Biology: Lecture – 4 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
General Chemistry: Lecture – 2 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
Organic Chemistry: Lecture – 2 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
Biochemistry: Lecture – 1 semester
General Physics: Lecture – 2 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
Math: Statistics – 1 semester
English: Rhetoric (Composition) and Literature – 2 semesters

I chose biochemistry as a major because it overlaps with the premed requirements and I was able to obtain my bachelor's degree in 3 years.

0

Estelle’s Answer

To go to medical school you can major in biology then fulfill the premed requirements. Premed isn't typically a major. Premed is required coursework to attend medical school, but there is not a premed degree.

0

The Pre-med requirements include 1 year biology, 1 year inorganic chemistry, 1 year organic chemistry + labs, physics, calculus, and biochemistry. You take these to apply to medical school. This is not a major.

A major in biology requires different classes.

0