I have an upcoming interview at a medical school, how do you prepare for a one-on-one interview?

Asked Ronkonkoma, New York

I have a one-on-one interview at a medical school coming up. Does anyone have any helpful tips on what to prepare for and how to approach the interview.

For reference: I have a masters degree in biomedical sciences and a bachelors degree in mathematics. #medicine #medical #medical-school #interview

Dr Julian’s Answer

Updated Boerne, Texas

Congratulations on your interview! I'm sure you will do well.
Place yourself in the medical school's position. They want to know who you are and whether you are a good fit for their program. You and the school are going to make a life changing decision after your "chat". Try and paint an honest picture of yourself in the mind of the interviewer. You can read the list of most commonly asked questions but I promise you the person interviewing you will have read them also. Remember you have made it this far. Much farther than thousands of other applicants. Ask questions about the school and the city which show you are interested in moving there and living there possibly long after medical school and residency. Relax and be yourself. Best of luck to you.

Thank you Dr. Julian! I appreciate your comments!

James’s Answer

Updated Round Rock, Texas

hi hashir,

my experience, 25 years ago, was that all the interviewers will ask you why you want to be a doctor. it sounds like a boring, standard question; however, there's more to it than simply "wanting to help others." they want to know how much thought and research you've put into this career decision.

did you speak with or shadow any medical professionals? did you volunteer at a medical facility? did you read medical biographies or other books about the medical field? did you have a profound experience as a patient, caregiver, etc?

a related question i was asked goes something like this: there are 3 applicants for every medical school position. if you are not selected for this medical school class what will you do? again, there are numerous ways to answer this question, but what they are trying to gauge is how much you've thought about your chances and your absolute desires. will you apply to nursing school, dental school, podiatry school, etc? will you work in a medical auxiliary field, such as phlebotomy, for a year then reapply to medical school next year? will you get another advanced degree?

or ... are you 100% convinced that you are such a strong candidate that there's no chance whatsoever of failing?

questions for you to ask: is the medical school focused on primary care such as family medicine? or to hospital medicine such as internal medicine, specialists, etc? are there any opportunities for research? rural rotations? (whatever it is you're interested in.)

i always thought it was a good idea to try to get a smile/laugh out of the interviewer one way or another. sometimes that would be to ask about an old book on his/her shelf. or inquire about his/her background. sometimes i'd inquire about politics. if you're daring, ask about their feelings on the affordable care act!

overall, don't be nervous. probably half the applicants will be sweating, reserved, brief, and generally forgottable. interviewers remember applicants who are smiling, friendly, gregarious. they need to see you as someone who is confident of his abilities, knowledgable about his career path, and pleasant to be around. just don't take things to the point of being arrogant.

i'll make one more small comment. make sure your suit & shoes fit comfortably. a lot of applicants have one outfit that they were on special occasions that doesn't quite fit right. when you're not comfortable it shows.

good luck!

Thanks Dr. Garza! I appreciate the level of thought in your response! I tried my best to be reflective while I was preparing for my interview and did focus on the things you stated. Yea you are most definitely right about making a connection with the interviewer, I talked about my hobby about drawing and later found that she was a medical illustrationist! Haha and you're right about the clothes for sure! :) Hashir

Poonam’s Answer

Updated Mumbai, Maharashtra, India

Here are the best face to face interview tips:

1. DO NOT FAKE IN YOUR RESUME:

Lying can backfire on you! The individual sitting before you has adequate experience of interviews and can without much of a stretch know when you are faking it. So, keep it genuine and just write in your CV, what you have really accomplished. Else, more often than not, you would be in a soup.

2. TAKE IT EASY:

More than whatever else, the anxiety hampers most interviews. Just before going into the interview room, take a couple of deep breaths and unwind your nerves. It for sure, makes a difference!

3. BE CONFIDENT:

This can be a significant undertaking thinking of it as’ the first occasion when you are sitting for an interview. However, you need to pull off this lie. You need to act confident and ensure that the recruiter feels that you have everything in perfect order and splendidly fit in the job position.

for more tips: face to face interview