What do I need to become a Real Estate Agent.

So I'm graduating high school next year, I'm 17 right now turning 18 in Aug. I heard about Real Estate in my freshmen year, I was very interested. real-estate business

2
Pros
2
0

GABRIEL’s Answer

Hi- I am not a realtor but know several. In order to become a real estate agent you have to obtain a license (requirements may vary by state). I would suggest speaking with a local real estate agent or two to get a closer perspective from professionals in your area. The profession requires good people skills, organizational skills, negotiating skills and the willingness to work nights and weekends. Good luck.
0

Holly’s Answer

I am licensed in the state of Michigan, so the rules may slightly differ in the state of New York. However, you can view the site below to look into getting your license. You can either attend an online class or in-person. Once you completed your required hours, you will take an exam. You can take the exam as many times as you want. Once you pass, you will choose which broker will hold your license and begin selling real estate! I would recommend joining a "team" based company that will train you. Many brokers will not provide any sort of educational training, I would say those positions are meant for realtors who have been in the business for a long time. Make sure you do your research before committing to a broker. Depending on commission splits and leads given, it can make a big difference in your paycheck. What works for another realtor may not work for you based on your experience level and how many referrals you can get on your own.

I will leave you with one piece of advice. This is one of the hardest jobs I've ever had. It takes a lot of work. It requires wear and tear on your car and does not provide a salary. This is a 100% commission job and you do not receive any benefits. There is no guarantee that you will earn any money, even if you are showing houses to clients. I have had many deals fall through the cracks. Transactions take up to 45+ days and you will not receive a paycheck until after you close. If you work hard and grind, you can succeed very well in this industry. Early mornings, late nights, and weekends. If you are not willing to put in the effort early on in your career, I would advise a different job with salary + commission. Real Estate is really fun and rewarding, but it takes a lot effort.

If you decide to take the class, I would suggest reading a lot of forums. I passed my exam on my fifth attempt. It was hard, but if you study correctly and efficiently, you will pass it! Never give up.

New York Real Estate License School: https://www.realestateexpress.com/real-estate-license/new-york/
0

Kuen’s Answer

I recently learned about Redfin's business model, the agents are paid a salary, or bonus, and do specific jobs, one person only meets people to show houses, another will write offers, another will do transaction coordination. I would suggest researching this as an option to test the waters. I know someone who became an agent through online courses.
Omgg thank you guys sooo much. Savannah H.
0