WHAT ARE SOME BEST WAYS TO GET AN ENTRY LEVEL JOB.

So specifically does anyone , think that entering with a certification is more valuable than a degree itself? Also what kind of limitations does having or not having a degree give you rather having or not having certifications. How many people have you seen at the top without a degree, but only having a certification. What are the best approaches towards gaining a entry level job , and also what are some ways to build communication skills to prepare for interviews. #entrylevel #networkengineer #job-application

2

Bill’s Answer

Be honest with who you are and look for positions that first off you have an interest in the work they are doing. No reason applying for something and getting it then not liking the work as that will make getting up to go to work painful.

Before you attend the interview, research the company. Know who they are, what they do, who they serve and think about what you can do for them, even as an entry level person, to meet those things. Prepare some meaningful questions around your research. Remember, you are selling yourself to them so you are going to want to show how you can help them meet their goals to their customers.

While in the interview, be confident...NOT cocky, there's a difference. Be early, always best to wait on them as you don't want them waiting on you. Listen to what they say, and think about your responses. It's ok to even ask to hear the question again to compose your thoughts and then respond. Before leaving, get their contact information...email address, you'll need this for the next step.

After the interview, send a thank you note to the person or persons you interviewed with. If multiple people, make them personable, not the same as they will share them with each other and a form thank you note isn't genuine.

As far as certifications over degrees go, that's going to be an industry specific item that without knowing more specifics it's hard to answer. I'd say if you're going into a field that has a college program associated with it that's probably going to be the best route. Keep in mind that designations, degrees, etc. those are ways for employers to weed someone out. Not that you may not be the best candidate without the degree or ever use the degree, it's a way to reduce the numbers.

As far as building communication skills go, while there are courses devoted to this, in my opinion, the best way to do it is to practice it. When I started out in insurance, part of our training program was to attend company social events and mingle with the agents that represented us and strike up conversations with them. I'm not an extrovert by any means, or at least I wasn't and doing this was hard. However, being forced to figure out ways into and out of a conversation were very valuable and today over 25 years later you'd think I'm an extrovert, again which I'm not. I don't get the energy back from people conversing with them like a true extrovert does, this tires me out, but I've found my way and it's easy and comfortable.

I hope this helps at least somewhat, if you have more questions, feel free to reach out.

0

suraj’s Answer

he current gap between graduates’ abilities and employer expectations can’t be stressed enough. A recent survey found that across the spectrum, the majority of employers don’t feel that new graduates have the skills required by the marketplace.

While commentators may endlessly debate the root cause — some say colleges aren’t performing their function, while others argue employers’ expectations are too high — the results speak for themselves: your degree, while certainly necessary, is not the shining accomplishment it once was.

For that reason, a resume that devotes the majority of space to academic accomplishments simply isn’t effective anymore.

In your job hunt, keep your academic accomplishments short, sweet and to the point: where you went, how you did and what you learned.

0