When asked the question, "Why do you want this job" what's the best way to respond?

40

When I apply, this is the most common question, however, I do not really know what they expect in an answer. #science #technology #mathematics #interviews #interview-questions #job-application

40

Chris’s Answer

5

When answering questions in an interview, it is just as much, if not more, about HOW you answer the question, rather then WHAT you say.

Showing you are passionate about an aspect of the role/company, and that it aligns with your own view of your development/career path demonstrates you can think ahead and this is not "just a job application" to you.

Try to keep that in mind when answering, and be as honest as possible, interviewers are looking for honesty and openness from my experience on both sides of the panel.

5

Carl’s Answer

3

I used to interview quite a bit to maintain a large team and this was one of the questions I would ask. I myself didn't really feel it was a bad question to ask and it was mainly used to gain a little insight into some intangibles such as: quick thinking, leadership, articulation, good communications skills, etc.

Good answers:
1) I feel I have a great skill set to do this job and I with to improve this skill set to become great at a job that I love to do.
2) This company has a great reputation in the industry and is projected to grow in the next 5 years (do your research here). I want to develop and grow along with it.
3) I love being a part of a high-functioning team which to my understanding is an aspect of this position.

These answers are similar to what Daniel wrote above but preparation will help you articulate the answers better.

An important things when answering this question is to try to be as prepared, honest and smooth as possible. Interviewers are looking for good candidates but what they really want are excellent ones. They know the standard answers so any verbiage above and beyond the norm will set you apart from other candidates.

The main thing an interviewer is looking for in a question like this is confidence and passion in the reply. It doesn't quite matter so much the particulars of your answer just the passion and confidence behind your answer. If you have a REASON to be somewhere you will be more productive. An interviewer is looking for your REASON to be there. So maybe explain what you like about this position; what interests you about it; why you genuinely would like to be part of their reason for existence and motive. Find things you like about the company and position and explain why you would like it and would be happy working there. Jeremy Gilbert
3

Dena’s Answer

1

Honestly. Think about what you want to do and where you want to go and make sure the job your applying for aligns with your goals.

1

Eva’s Answer

0

Don't over think it. Think about what got you to that interview, how did you find this position, what made you apply, what about it seems interesting, where you see it going, etc.

0

Donald’s Answer

0

Best way to respond is to do your research on the company and respond with Insight into who you are and your strengths and weaknesses.

0

Eric’s Answer

0
First, you should know there are different level of positions. college hiring, entry level, sinor position level, manager, sinor manger, etc... I assume you are applying the postion of college hiring or entry level. when people applying these levels of postions, they should not have much working expeirences. Hiring manage should not expect to hear much knowlegde of this job/position. So if you can tell how much of your personality matchs the postion, that would be very good for you.
0

Stephanie’s Answer

0

This question is your opportunity to sell them on why you are the right fit.

1-What made you decide that this company is the right place for you? (Think mission, vision, credo, etc)

2-What excites you about this role? (The skill set you will use, what you would be proud of, etc)

*Do your research on the company

*Interview them while they interview you

*If you know who’s interviewing you, check them out on Linked In

0

Monica’s Answer

0

Think of why you applied before answering the question and what it was that attracted you to this job? Maybe it was to help people or to use a specific skill that you have. Let's say that you want to be a salesperson at Verizon because you are really good at connecting with others and have a passion for technology. For example...You might say..."I am the perfect fit for this position because I enjoying meeting new people and learning about how communications products can change their lives. I am also very driven to win and, after doing research about Verizon, I am certain I could use my expertise in the field of technology to help others!"

Don't forget! Be genuine and passionate with your response!

0

Nagendra’s Answer

0
Be Honest and give a polite positive answer- This is a very common question in every interview. But no need to answer this in a way to impress the panel. Be bold and realistic
0

Poonam’s Answer

0

Here are the best way to answer :

It’s happens to be the most frequently asked questions during interviews, and saying that the position appears great or the organization is superb, isn’t sufficient.

While interviewing job aspirants, managers are anxious to figure out which hopefuls truly need the job and would put real exertion for the betterment of the organization, and who simply needs a job, any kind of job, paying little heed to what the position involves.

INTERVIEW PREPARATION FOR THE BEST POSSIBLE RESPONSE:

The best possible approach to respond to this question is to be ready and insightful about the employer organization. Invest some time researching on the company (the “About Us” page of that particular company’s site is a decent place to begin) so, you can discuss regarding the advantages of working for this specific employer.

You may likewise search for the most recent press statements and media coverage of the organization, so, you have the knowledge of the organization’s future plans and goals. You could even visit the organization’s Facebook page, Instagram account, Twitter account etc. or any other social networking page, with a specific end goal to get an insightful into what clients or product buyers opine about the organization.

for more details: Why do you want to work here

0

0

Because you think the company is a good fit for you.

Of course then you have to follow up with why - which means you did your research on the company and job position.

Nobody wants to hire somone who will be miserable at their job. It costs a lot to look for, hire, and then train an employee -both in time and money. If a company goes through all of that and then is misearable and leaves for an other job, then nobody benefits.

Does the job invole travel? Does it involve meetings with clients? Is it a team based role or an individual contribuitor, where is the office located, what sort of commute would you be looking at, what sort of hours are expected of you. These are the sort of questions you have answered before the interview (to the extent prossible)

Then when asked the "why do you want this job" question you can say things such as "Not only do the technical skills required for this job meet my skill set, but I see this job requires making presentations to prospective clients. I enjoy public speaking and presenting, and in fact I have been in Toastmasters for the last 3 years. I also see that the job requires some international travel. This is not an issue for me, in fact I would enjoy it. I have traveled to a number of countries and I speak Spanish, and a bit of French, and would be interested inlearing other languages if necessary"

Of course whatever you say needs to be true and spun to make you look good. If the job requires long hours and working alone, don't say " This would be a good fit because I am an anti-social, socially awkward, hemit". Say "This would be a good job for me because I noticed in college that while working on a number of overnight projects in the lab, that I did not mind working odd hours by myself, if fact sometimes I had some of my best insights into problems at such times"

It's all about how you present yourself.

-dave

0

Ajay’s Answer

0

==Not very sure if this a correct way to answer here but want to put this out in my style. Apologies.==

"Why do you want this job? " An ambiguous question & answer. When we all start our education , we heard many of them telling us that (At least in India ) "Education is the best way to escalate in social ladder/high status , get a job & be in safe zone."

so when i first interviewed by a company after my collage & been asked this question, i said I want to make it big in the industry , later i am confused with which industry? What stream? to which stream they are hiring me? .. .. As usual my mind whispered "Who knows , I need a job , just to let everyone know i am just moving up through the ladder, will figure out all other things later". Thats the day i started my IT career.

I am not saying above is the story of all the people , but very sure that there are people out there who can relate to what i said.

At first my journey was just like riding a car at night , even though you can only see 100 meters ahead of you but still you will take a leap & reach the destination & trust me the journey didn't disappoint me , it excite me every day , still am in the same excitement had in the first day.

So with my experience & learning from my mistakes , my suggestion here is that if you want to answer the question "Why do you want this job?", you should be in a position to imagine the accomplishment can be achieved by the job you are a applying to. Keep in mind that you can offer so much more than your job & job should be only a way to reach your intended destination. So do not engage in a job that doesn't excite you enough.

0

Michelle’s Answer

0
On any interview for any job - be prepared to answer:

Why do you want this job?
Why do you feel your the best person for this position?
Why should I hire you?

The answer about 'you' should always intertwine with the company.

In order to prepare to answer the interview questions that may arise, you must research the company you are going to work for. What is their mission, how can you relate what the job responsibilities are to your capabilities? Role play (practice) your answers before the interview. If you google interview questions you can find a plethora of information to review/practice. Most people clam up when they interview - remember, the people who you are interviewing with brush their teeth the same way you do.

A few tips:

A positive and grateful attitude is just as important as how you answer questions. Before you walk into that company door for your interview - go have a happy dance first. And before you dance out of the office - ASK FOR THE JOB - what are our next steps and when should I follow back up with you? A professional thank you message and how you can best help their organization should be completed within 24 to 48 hours after the interview.
0

Lakshay’s Answer

0

The first thing to do here is to ask yourself, what was the main professional reason you applied for this job or be a part of a particular company. Check the job description, Company history and a thorough research of the company before answering that question. Most of us dream to work in a respective companies like Google, Microsoft, Cisco etc. And having an opportunity to work in such company where the desired skills and roles matches with your area of expertise, I think it should be simple to answer such question.

You can answer like:

1) I learned a long time ago that doing the same thing every day is not for me as I enjoy problem-solving in fast-paced environments. I am also a people-person who likes to build relationships. Based on what you have told me, I would be the point-of-contact with customers resolving issues and overseeing their product delivery. So every day would be different and interesting. I would get to know my customers and build long-term relationships with them.

2) This job opening at your esteemed organization has the potential to give my personality a boost as well as render me sufficient opportunities to leverage most of my acquired skill sets – professionally as well as personally. It can bring out the best in me as this platform will let me show my potential. Also, your organization can give me one of the best professional workplace environments to work to my full potential and collaborate with experienced professionals. I am sure that once I join here, I will grow myself in my career as well as contribute to the organization’s overall growth as well.

3) Working with a team of experts in the field can make me grow in this field and grow as a professional. It can help me acquire much-needed abilities to grow in my career. It can also cement the development that is much needed for freshers like myself. I also need to point out that the goals I have marked for a longterm career growth can be easily attained if I consistently work hard towards my final goal, which is to become a senior manager in an organization, which is as famous as yours. This job is a significant push which I need to fly high right now. I cannot ask for anything less than this as I feel I am the best talent for this position.

0

Jace’s Answer

0

Interviewing can be stressful and nerve racking, but you are doing a great job recognizing areas of opportunity and seeking insight.

I did interviewing for several years and I always ended my interviews with a very similar question. I will share what I was looking for, as too maybe give you some insight on how to answer.

This is an opportunity to sell yourself, confidence is key. Confidence is gained through preparation. Have you done your research? This is an opportunity to share what you know about the role and the company. This shows you are invested and not just another stop on a long list of interviews you may have. What do you bring to the table? Highlight your key attributes, and how they can contribute to the business. Keep it simple, but unique. Set yourself apart.

Remember #umatter, good luck and you got this.

0

Ankush’s Answer

0

First know how that particular profile is suitable to yourself (based on your interest in that particular field), this is most important. If you are a fresher, then first understand what that job profile is. This will help you understand whether you should go for it or no based on your interest in that particular field.

Then talk about how your existing knowledge (or your interest in that field) related to that particular job is going to help you perform well in that job and help you grow your knowledge and hence, contribute to the organization success along with yours.

0

Beverly’s Answer

0

Hi!! What an awesome question and thank you for reaching out in preparation for future interviews. It’s great that you have remembered question trends from prior interviews. This is a question that begs you to sell yourself. Your interviewer is anxiously awaiting your answer and they are looking for several things. How well do you know the job you are applying for? What research have you done? What do you bring to the table? How will you add value to the business? What is your vision or passion and how will it make you valuable? When you successfully answer these questions you have all the material you need to answer the question, “Why do you want this job?”

0

Jose’s Answer

0

When asked, "Why do you want this job?" The best way to respond is to simply be yourself. Most of the time the hiring manager asks this question to see what the value in your answer, in other words if you need a job to pay for college, or to help out at home with bills or things of that nature, just say it...Most of the time the hiring manager wants to see how you respond rather than what your answer would be... If it is a job that can help you in the future because it corresponds to your career path, then say it, and be passionate about it..Being you will always be the right answer.. Good luck in your career path!!

0

Chris’s Answer

0
When I get this question I normally target why I need this job and what I’ll do to keep the job. Most employers want to see how ambitious you are. Take that into consideration in every interview.
0

Christopher’s Answer

0

Key to answering that question is demonstrating how the job can help you learn and grow and at the same time you can bring new/fresh ideas to the company you are applying for.

Try to be as specific to what interests you most about the opportunity

0

Melanie’s Answer

0
A few other folks have said this, but I truly believe being honest and being yourself is your best bet.

Why:
- Being your authentic self will help both you, and the interviewer to determine if you are a good fit. If you go into an interview, and "play a part" or act a certain way that's unnatural to you, just because you think that's what the company wants to hear, then it's not a genuine fit. When things get tough, you can no longer play a part.
- When you are genuine, people feel it. I'd rather someone come interview for a job and tell me their true passion is underwater basket weaving, but that there are aspects to the role they're applying for that they align with and have passion for, than have someone come in and blow smoke.
- Personality matters. More so than experience. Of course, it depends on the role. If the position is for engineering, I'm going to hire the person that has the best personality AND is the most qualified. However, if it's a level playing field and everyone is equally qualified, I'm going to make my decision based on their personality and authenticity.
0

Michelle’s Answer

0
Most Hiring Managers I work with like asking this question to get a sense of (1) your passion for the role, (2) your excitement for the company, and (3) that you've done your research. Be enthusiastic in your response, and be sure to give clear examples of why specific responsibilities/duties align with your career goals. Now is a good time to drop in things you've learned when researching the team and company.

For example, when I was interviewing for PagerDuty I used this opportunity not to just talk about the role, but also how PagerDuty's company values aligned with my own, and how much I admired their corporate responsibility and 1% pledge initiatives.

The more specific the better!

Michelle recommends the following next steps:

• Read reviews on Glassdoor from other employees in that role, or in that company. Find a few things about the company and team you find special to remember to mention in the interview!
0

Kristine’s Answer

0

When answering this question, I often consider why I applied in the first place - is there something about the company that makes you excited to work for them, or is there something about the position that excites you, etc. What do you think you can offer the company if they hire you into this position or what do you hope to gain through this position.

0

Juan’s Answer

0

When going into an interview you should prepare to speak to the job you are applying for by researching the company and role as much as possible. This should give you an idea of what will be required of you to do the job. During the interview you should explain what makes you passionate about that job and how your skillset will help you get it done.

0

0

That's a great question. Too often we try to give the answer that we think they want to hear. The best track is to be honest. Other than the fact that it is a job with a paycheck why did you apply for this job. I recommend that you read the job posting carefully. Review what about the job description caught your attention. Then ask yourself; what about this job do I feel I can do right now ? What about this job will challenge me? Why would I be valuable to this company in this role? Digest those points and you should find a substantial answer to why you want THIS job.

0

Max’s Answer

0
As an HR Recruiter, I often ask this question to prospective candidates. It is more about the how than the why in this specific question - you want to sell your skills AND personality at the same time not separately. The best answer is honest and needs to paint the picture for the recruiter or hiring manager that you are already working for them. It is not something that you will learn overnight, and you will have to work on the flow of the answer as in all interviewing, but with enough practice you will see the benefit!
0

Scott’s Answer

0

It really depends on the job. If it is as an individual contributor then you want to talk about the things that you personally like about the position and why you are interested in it. If it is a management job then you want to talk more about helping others and the satisfaction you get from helping other people achieve their goals.

0

Anita’s Answer

0

Yes you are right and this is the most common question which is being asked in interviews of all levels. I would suggest you to look at the requirement or job description you are applying if you can and match them to your strengths. You can base your answer on the following:

1. While answering you need to mention how your strengths are inline with the company's requirements which makes you a very good fit.
  2. You can also talk about the company's future/latest updates which have made you interested for this job and this will also show your interest in joining the company.

Hope this helps :).

0

Ashley’s Answer

0

A good way to show that you are hungry for the position and also confident at the same time is responding with something along the lines of “I want this job because this is what I know I am good at, and if you hire me for this job I am 100% confident I will prove that to you.”

0

Donna’s Answer

0
Since I would only apply for a job position that I was passionate about, I think the words would come easily. I of course would have done my homework on the company and the role I was interested in. I would start by explaining my passion for this role and where that passion comes from I would acknowledge the work they have accomplished and let them know I think I would be a great fit and I believe I can help them reach their next milestone.
Come across passionate and confident.
0

Andrea’s Answer

0
I feel its best to answer how you are going to contribute to the companies growth and plan in addition to what things you are looking to accomplish.
0

Vivek’s Answer

0

We often hear this question in interview. The hiring manager asks 'Why do you want this job' because he/she wants to -

• Learn about your career goals and how this position fits into your plan
  • Make sure that you are sincerely interested in the job and will be motivated to perform if hired
  • Find out what you know about the company, industry, position (and if you took the time to research)
  • Understand your priorities and preferences — which aspects of the company and/or job are appealing to you and why?

However, you must approach each part of the question differently, and you’ll need to build the foundation for your answers by researching the company.

0

Donna’s Answer

0
Come across passionate and confident.
0

Chris’s Answer

0

0

Albert’s Answer

0

The position you apply for should help your career path in some fashion. Your answer should include what you bring to the position and what you expect to learn from the position. Your ability to add value to an organization and your willingness to learn make you an attractive job candidate so be ready to provide an answer to both questions.

0

0
The best way to answer is honestly. Why do you want that job? If its just to have a job and make an income, that may not actually be the right job for you. If the job entails something you are passionate about or the company is one you feel strongly about, articulate that. If you have a particular skill that would help you excel in the job, or if you feel as though the job will help you with career advancement in the future then that would be a good starting point for your answer and you can tailor the rest based on how the rest of the interview went.
0

Nishant’s Answer

0

Here the answer for "WHY" is to define your skills and interest you hold and how it is suitable for the job profile.

0

Mrudula’s Answer

0
When employers ask you such a question, they are not only looking for what you want from the company, but also what they want from you.

The best way to answer would be to tel them why you applied foe the job, did it align with what you were looking for. Also mention related topics/activities/domains that the company is involved and that is related to the job you are interviewing for, and let me know if you are interested in being a part of that too. Its good for the company if your expectations meet their requirements.

also mention if you see a great opportunity for self development within the company- growing with the job.
0

Patricia’s Answer

0

Deanicia,
My best advice to you is, be true to yourself. You don’t need a canned response or a response you think the interviewer wants to hear. Ask yourself “Why did I apply for this job or internship”. That is your answer. That answer will be genuine and employers like to see the real side of a candidate.

0

khushboo’s Answer

0

Hi everyone,

This question is much interesting and i think one should answer in positive and enthusiastic way mentioning that how much you are interesting in the profile and how this profile work will be interesting to you to learn and achieve goals.

0