I don't know what to major in

6

I was really thinking of majoring in Voice but I might just minor in it. However I don't know what to major in. Every career test I take tells me to major in Visual Arts :/ I like writing, cheerleading, dance and makeup. I really don't know where that puts me in. If there are any majors that have anything to do with those hobbies, please let me know. #major #arts #makeup #voice

6

Jared’s Answer

2

Edit:

I've got two suggestions for you: First, I would say that one great option you should consider is to major in design. This would be a way for you to stick with the visual arts theme. It's definitely practical to have a career in design, working for a wide variety of companies. You might find yourself doing graphic design (e.g., a poster or a website), designing products you see around the house, or even working in fashion as a designer (this last one is highly competitive, so I'm not sure how it ranks in terms of practicality). The second suggestion I've got is to consider working in the entertainment industry. Your passion for acting doesn't need to put you on the stage. You could work as a production assistant (future producer) for theater, TV, or film, which would give you exposure to actors and dancers along with makeup and design. Want more ideas? Tell us more about you so we can brainstorm further!

Original clarifying question:

Why don't we start with what the career tests tell you... Sounds like you're not interested in visual arts. What do you enjoy / dislike about that idea? Perhaps that will help us brainstorm some suggestions for you...

I enjoy visual arts however I'm not sure if it will be practical. I'm not sure if majoring in music however will it help me find a good paying job that I like. Margelle L.
Sounds good. I just edited my answer with more suggestions. Hope that helps! Jared Chung BACKER
I'm also interested in visual arts, and this is a really helpful answer, thanks! Sage K.
Thank you for the advice Teal K.
2

(Cos) Ofer’s Answer

1

If you're not in college yet, you don't need to decide for sure. If you don't know, just make sure you go to a school that has several things you're interested in. Even if you do know what you want to major in, chances are pretty good that you'll change majors - lots of people do. When you get to college, take courses in several different subjects you find fun or interesting, and over the course of your first few semesters, you'll get a much better idea of what it's like to actually study or work on those things, and then you can figure out what the best major for you is.

1

Arille Jeriza’s Answer

1

If you like writing, you may want to consider Journalism, Communications, or maybe even Marketing as your major. Eventually in life you may be able to apply your writing skills to one of your other creative interests, like being an editor for a fashion magazine or marketing manager for beauty products. Either way, remember to always pursue what makes you happy, and don't let your college major define who you are or what you can do. It's extremely common for everyone to switch majors, and even graduate with one major and have a career in something else. (I myself graduated with a bioengineering degree but am now doing business!)

Totally agree with Arille here - I majored in Journalism even though I wanted to work in the music business. Journalism taught me how to communicate, a skill applicable to every field (including my current music biz role). Alex Holz
what kind of career is Journalism, like what does a journalist do? Linda L.
Journalists work for newspapers, magazines, or online entities. They typically start by writing/editing stories, press releases (public relations is a similar field), or are broadcast journalists (on-air reporters) covering everything from breaking news stories, entertainment, sports, local news, etc. The industry shifted toward more online, less print media, but opportunities exist across the board. Alex Holz
1

Nicole’s Answer

0

One piece of advice: Do not take what career tests tell you as something set in stone. Career tests are meant to give you an idea of options out there for you, but YOU know more about what would make you happy than a generalized test. I remember taking career tests in school and even on my own online. They all told me something different: "You would be successful in a career in finance." (Um, I am not good at math!) or "You would be happy in a career in the medical field." (That is the one specific field I always said I would NEVER work in!) So, trust your gut feelings and always do lots of research. See what you are truly passionate about, even if you think it is only a hobby, and research possible careers that involve your hobby. You will be surprised about what you will find.

0

Laura’s Answer

0

The common thread in all of these answers is passion. Passion is what leads to success, not practicality. If you are passionate about what you're learning, working on, and you have the talent and drive to make it happen, than that personal stake in your pursuits will lead you to success. If you were 100% focused on voice, I'd suggest you check out conservatories instead of liberal art schools, where the focus is specifically on music. If you aren't quite sure what will grab you, liberal art schools are a great way to explore many interests.

When I was in high school, I thought that I wanted to go into social work. When I started college, I took an intro to drawing class and four semesters later I declared as a Studio Art Major. I had no idea that would be my direction when I started school, and actually resisted it for several semesters because it wasn't a "practical" major. My interests led me in that direction and I found my passion as a result.

0