What to ask when student teaching?

I'm going to start student teaching pretty soon and I wanted to know what to look for or like what to ask the teacher that I'm student teaching with. Also how was your experience with student teaching, what should I avoid? #teaching #education #teacher #student #college

4

Dave’s Answer

Hi Andrea,
Student teaching is where the rubber meets the road. All of your classroom and practical experiences so far will probably not prepare you for student teaching. I had an awful student teacher mentor. On my first day she introduced me to class and walked out. I never saw her again for the rest of the nine weeks.
Here are some things you need to find out ahead of time: what does this mentor expect you to do in the first week. How many other teachers in the building are you going to be able to also have contact with in their classes. Ask that mentor what their daily life is like. This would include things like how soon before class starts to get there, how many breaks they get during the day, and when they finally get to go home. You should also ask him about the paperwork load that they will carry. You should definitely find out about how to test the students once you start teaching them. Some people have standardized tests, some people make their own tests.
One of the most important things that you can ask a veteran teacher, that is someone who is taught or at least 20 years, is about their 403b and retirement plan. If you start early, you will have several million dollars by the time you're done. Sounds exciting huh?
I will tell you that teaching is much harder than people realize. Your responsible for a lot of students. Lots of things will go wrong, and sometimes there's nothing you could do about it. Your job is to help every student, but you can't save every student. Never let a student fail! If they want to fail they'll have to work at it.
Your student teaching should give you a bird's-eye view of what happens when you're in charge all the time! Good luck. It will be an adventure!

0

Praful’s Answer

i would suggest to Ask the teacher
- how to be a Successful Student Teacher ?
- Is there support for student teachers like any scholarship/internship ?

0

Stephanie’s Answer

Hi Andrea,

Welcome to the most fabulous career - becoming a teacher! Student teaching ..... I was very nervous and didn't ask many questions. I was too afraid of not looking capable or smart. But that was not a great decision. ASK QUESTIONS! I think the questions you want to ask are about:
* managing students - how is the classroom arranged and how does that aid student engagement?
* curriculum - I learned that the school had really old textbooks and so I was penalized for writing lessons based on old books .... ask questions about curriculum - what are the students learning and why
* standards - how does the teacher or the curriculum weave the standards into the lessons?

Watch and learn ..... how does each start? How are students recognized and encouraged in their daily learning?

I found this blog that might be helpful - lots of really good questions: https://schools.magoosh.com/schools-blog/what-to-ask-your-cooperating-teacher-before-student-teaching

Take care and you will do a fabulous job!

Stephanie

0

Kikanza’s Answer

Ask the mentor teacher about her philosophy of teaching. Why does she teach? How did she choose the topic and grade? What has she learned that she did not learn in school? What is the best thing a student ever said to you? What keeps you motivated?

0