How valuable are internships, really?
I have the opportunity to be an intern at the Cleveland Clinic - a Laboratory Medicine internship. I'm hoping to someday be either a Geneticist or a Research Scientist in Biology, so you can see how this internship is relevant. Also, I hope to go to Case Western Reserve University, so this internship could open many doors for me.
The problem I have, though, is transportation. I do not have my license yet, and as one of a large family, my mom is unable to drive me around sometimes, because of the needs of many younger siblings.
So I wonder: Is this internship worth it? If it would be a hassle to get there and back?
Or is it maybe not of such importance - something I could do without?
I'm very unsure and welcome any and all feedback! #internships #student #first-job
Internships are VERY important. If you can make the logistics happen I would highly recommend accepting the internship. It's the best way to get experience that you will need on your resume when applying for jobs. It's also a great chance to get hands on experience to see if this is the type of career you want to dedicate years of studying to.
Internships are very important both for the organizations and as well as Interns.
Advantages for Organizations:
- Identify potential talent and invite fresh outside-in perspective
- Test individuals on ground before making a final hiring decision
- Create pipeline of talent for future hiring needs
- Build Organizational brand among university students
- At times organizations also offer long term internships assignment if they have short term project needs that helps in saving costs (vs. hire someone full time)
Advantages for Interns:
- Identify potential organizations they want to work with in the future
- Explore culture, people and organizational mission/values and fit to their career aspirations
- Paid internships help in alleviating the educational cost burden
- Build professional network and identify career coaches to seek career advices
- Gain professional experience required to prep for actual full time job
Nakshatra recommends the following next steps: