2
Asked 188 views

Is Blender a good application to begin 3D modelling?

I am a little interested in 3D modeling as a career and wonder if Blender would be a good place to start, despite it not being the industry standard like Maya. #3D

2

0

Aaron’s Answer

Hi Edwin! This depends what type of modeling you want to do. It sounds like you're thinking of 3D printing or character creation?

I've done some clay modeling and we use software such as autocad, polygon, etc.

Maya is great if you don't care about exactness and want to focus more on the visual.

For larger operations such as earth moving for mining, terrain stability, infrastructure, or construction, you'll find autocad, GIS, vulcan, etc to be the goto modeling softwares

Some of them focus more heavily on scheduling projects as well as modeling and also being exact to the coordinate.

In general, I have come to find that once you know a couple modeling programs...they all start to feel the same. Recruiting, I wouldn't care as much which modeling software you used if you had a good portfolio. Especially for junior roles we often understand you're not going to be investing in a paid software or ultra expensive software if you're just doing it for your portfolio building. Obviously using industry standard programs is just icing on the cake but you can make up for that by doing Linkedin courses/udemy/coursera. Then you could say..."Here's my portfolio. I used x,y,z modeling programs...However, I also have taken these online courses for Maya and I've noticed it's very similar to another program I used so I'm confident I can learn Maya"
0
0

Zahid’s Answer

I can't speak for other software as i'm not in the field. But I can say this much, engineers start out with autocad as the first tool to learn in college. Most software will be expensive and hard to play on unless they have trial versions or "community editions" free for public. You can never go wrong with open-source software to start out in learning something or even using it.

[Blender is a remarkable piece of software and will satisfy anyone’s needs regarding not only 3d printing but also animation, simulation, and rendering. In addition to being a powerful tool, it is also free and open-source for everyone no matter if it is for personal or professional use. It has a steep learning curve but it is well worth it for all the functionalities it offers.

Blender is the most used software for 3D printing when it comes to creating organic shapes. Otherwise, it is not the most practical software for designing precise and technical objects for which there are better-suited programs, like Fusion360.]

And I"m sure there are plenty of tutorials out there, like on youtube, for you to get familiar with it. To learn more about it, check out this link:
https://3dsolved.com/is-blender-good-for-3d-printing/
0