what are some good ways to network?

4
Hey Rachel! A good way to network with other students and professionals is to go to company/school events. You can often meet other people there, whether a student or a professional, that are more than willing to talk to you. Once you strike up a conversation with them, you can suggest to keep in contact with LinkedIn or through email. I would also suggest you to join a club, as you can find other people that are in the same major as you that are passionate about what they are doing. You would most likely be able to meet some professionals from club-exclusive events as well. Hope this helps! Albert P.
4

Maura’s Answer

0
I suggest you first reach out to your college career counseling center. It is my experience that many students are not fully aware of the resources available to them within their own school, whether big or small. Also, there are great online resources such as LinkedIn and Glassdoor. They offer connections and advice regarding how to effectively network. When you do reach out and when you create online profiles, resumes, etc., make sure you are absolutely professional and spellcheck/grammar check everything. Have a trusted advisor review your information. A second set of eyes is often a good thing. Do not take these things too lightly. In my opinion, although we are moving to a more casual style of communicating, it is important to be professional especially as you make introductions. Be proactive and professional and cast a wide net! Good luck!
0

Genevieve’s Answer

0

A good way to network is to start with your college community. Attend any events or join any groups or organizations that interest you. Volunteering is another way to network and meet people as well. If your school hosts any alumni events that are open to current students, attend those as well. If you like a certain professor or have done well in their class, try to develop a relationship with them. Go to their office hours, ask questions during class, attend any events they are speaking at or promoting.

If your college has any job fairs I would highly encourage you to attend those as well. This is a great way to meet recruiters and get to know companies you may want to work for in the future. If you have a good conversation with a recruiter or company representative, ask for a business card and if you can connect on LinkedIn. Try researching the companies & employers ahead of time so you can target the ones you want to talk to instead of wasting time talking to random employers you may not be interested in. This doesn't mean you shouldn't go with an open mind. If a booth looks interesting to you, even if you don't know anything about them, it's worth it to walk up and learn more about what they do.

It is also important to have a professional online presence. LinkedIn is the best social media platform for this. If you don't have one already, you should make one as soon as you have time. Start connecting with classmates, professors, and anyone you meet at events, volunteering, etc. Make sure to include a note with the request saying something like, "Hi {insert name of person} , It was nice meeting you at ____. I'd like to connect on LinkedIn and stay in touch."

0

Chris’s Answer

0

Hi Rachel -

Asking this question is probably THE most impactful question you could possibly ask, as building and maintaining an active network is critical! Remember People ALWAYS want to help other people !

My best suggestion is to create a LinkedIn profile - check out the site and use the free version
- Create a basic profile with a professional picture
- Search for members who are alumni from your school
- Then filter to those who are closest to you in geography and/or major
- Send a brief, upbeat note indicating "I came across your profile and see that you are an alumnus of ___ College/University. If you don't object I'd like to add you to my network! Thank You your name" KEY - SEND 1-3 requests to link EVERY DAY !!!
- You will likely see a 50% response rate so don't disappointed
- Once you have connected THEN you could send other emails asking for career advice, maybe meet in person for coffee, share ideas, etc.

This will definitely give you an edge with internships and possible entry level jobs!
Check out nvaconnections.com for further assistance

Chris

0

Olivia’s Answer

0

Hi Rachel. Be open to meeting with a career counselor at your local college. It is a free service. Many colleges have job fairs in where ou can network. If you had not done so yet get yourself a LinkedIn profile. It wouldn't hurt to get yourself a business cards to hand out to professionals when you meet them. And be open to getting professional headshots for your LinkedIn profile.

0