Hi Rachel -
Asking this question is probably THE most impactful question you could possibly ask, as building and maintaining an active network is critical! Remember People ALWAYS want to help other people !
My best suggestion is to create a LinkedIn profile - check out the site and use the free version
- Create a basic profile with a professional picture
- Search for members who are alumni from your school
- Then filter to those who are closest to you in geography and/or major
- Send a brief, upbeat note indicating "I came across your profile and see that you are an alumnus of ___ College/University. If you don't object I'd like to add you to my network! Thank You your name" KEY - SEND 1-3 requests to link EVERY DAY !!!
- You will likely see a 50% response rate so don't disappointed
- Once you have connected THEN you could send other emails asking for career advice, maybe meet in person for coffee, share ideas, etc.
This will definitely give you an edge with internships and possible entry level jobs!
Check out nvaconnections.com for further assistance