11

How did you find a career that you love or passionate about?

As a student, I want to work in a career I enjoy but also one that I can make a good living out of.

11

2

Andrea’s Answer

Hi Kang!

Self-awareness is the first step in exploring careers and/or employment. You need to know what you are good at, what you like to do, and what types of fields interest you. I also like to ask myself - "what would I never get bored of?"

There are various different ways you can go about that. Self-assessment is one way, where you write down all your soft skills and technical skills, identify your personality traits and think about what your purpose is. Some people want to make a difference, others want to invent something beneficial for people, others want to try their hand at entrepreneurship. You may also want to think about what kinds of environments would you be happy working in. Are you an indoor type of person or prefer being outdoors mostly? Do you prefer working with people or do you prefer working independently?

I also recommend researching the labor market for different fields of interest. The Bureau of Labor Statistics has a very useful directory of occupations called the Occupational Outlook Handbook that gives information about various fields, down to the occupations in those fields.
https://www.bls.gov/ooh/

Career One Stop is another good site that helps people research careers and take personal assessments. https://www.careeronestop.org/

Next, I recommend researching companies that you'd be interested in working for. What are they about? What roles do they offer? Are there any that interest you? Informational interviews with people who work at these companies can give you great insight to what it's like to work there or they can describe their role in better detail. LinkedIn is a great place for that!

If you are attending college - definitely check out their career services department. They can help you look into different programs, work experiences/internships to give you a sense of what path you'd like to take.

Hope this helps!

All the best,
Andrea
Thank you comment icon Thank you, this is really helpful. Kang L.
2
1

Elizabeth’s Answer

This is a great question because I wish I had the insight to ask it when I was younger. It's good that you realize how important it is to love your career. You'll possibly be spending more time at work and with the people at work than you will be spending with friends and family.
Here are few questions to ask yourself:
1. What are my hobbies
2. Do I like working with people or do you like being alone or a combination of both?
3. What subjects in school are my favorite?
4. Are you creative or analytical or a little bit of both?
5. Is there anything that you are passionate about already? This could be a hobby, religion or politics or anything else.
6 . Where do you want to live? How much free time will you need? How important is family?
After answering all these questions I would start with looking at careers that utilize your academic strengths in school. You could ask another question on Career Village to get a list of careers that are possible. Then I would narrow down that list based upon if they fill the other needs that you've come up with based upon the previous questions. Hope this helps and hope to help with your future questions as well.
Thank you comment icon Thank you so much! Kang L.
1
1

Nicole’s Answer

What get you excited to get out of the bed in the morning? What is a topic that you can talk about for hours? What subjects do you thrive in and can't get enough of?

What is your why? What bring your purpose and drives you to work hard?

I know these are all huge questions. But if you can find what motivates you the rest will fall into place and you will be a lot happier in your job.
Thank you comment icon Thank you, this is amazing! I really needed it. Kang L.
1
0

Paul’s Answer

For me it came down to my Core Values. I know that if I did not have a position, that matched with my core values, then I would never be happy in that position. My Core Values were those firmly held beliefs that are the driving forces behind me and the decisions that I made in my life.

One core value that I held, which influenced my decision, on what positions to seek was Service to Others. I knew that I wanted to do something that would influence the lives of others in a positive way. This was the driving force which influenced me to go into public service, especially in the area of education and advising.

Other values, also influenced my choices, because I also value honesty, integrity, and transparency. All of these values were present in the positions that I have held throughout my career. These values are firm beliefs that I never compromise on in my life. I have been in positions, where the organization did not have or have similar core values to mine. Subsequently, as a result I did not last very long in those organizations. So, it was my core values, which were the guiding principles, that helped determine my decisions in the career paths I took.
Thank you comment icon Thank you so much for the advice. Kang L.
0
0

Holly’s Answer

Hi Kang!
You have a number of great suggestions given, and I would also like to add that you should take advantage of any career nights or career fairs that your school may be offering. These can be great opportunities to ask questions to real professionals about their careers. Career fairs or career nights offer a range of professionals as well, so you can really learn about a number of different paths and see if any interest you! I would ask your guidance counselor, mentor, or teachers if your school offers opportunities like this and definitely sign up!
Thank you comment icon Great point, thank you! Kang L.
0
0

Ver’s Answer

I find that at times your career evolves, but there's one thing that I am sure of: there is no permanent job description, it evolves constantly and you can even redefine it if you see an opportunity to.
Thank you comment icon Loved reading this, thanks! Kang L.
0
0

Brad’s Answer

Hi Kang,

It looks like you have received a lot of suggestions and advice in terms of finding a career you're passionate about. The first step might be to simply think about write things down that you like. Once you do that you can start looking to careers within those passions. I saw someone mention career fairs. This can be a great place to learn about opportunities available and establish connections with people in various industries. While broad but figuring out and knowing your "why" will go a long way in your pursuit of finding a career you are passionate about! Best of luck!
Thank you comment icon I'm excited to put your great advice to good use! Kang L.
0
0

Chiranjib’s Answer

Great question. Made me think quite a bit.
It is always best when your passion and profession meet. Unfortunately, for a great many people, that seldom happens.

I suggest trying out this questionnaire. I just tried it and was pleasantly surprised by how accurate the results were and how nicely they related to me.

https://www.princetonreview.com/quiz/career-quiz
0
0

Bailey’s Answer

I found mentors that recognized my strengths and encouraged my skills to blossom. I am currently a registered nurse because when I was a medical assistant, I worked for a nurse practitioner that saw my potential. She encouraged me to go back to school and I am forever grateful. Since then, I’ve met my husband and he has encouraged me to continue my dream toward becoming a physician. Working in the hospital has been great. I suggest looking to shadow different areas that you are interested in. Good luck!
Thank you comment icon That's great insight, thank you! Kang L.
0
0

Rebecca’s Answer

Thank you for your question. I am glad to hear that you are looking for a career that you have interest or you love to.
I would suggest you can consider approach below :
1. Think about your hobbies or interest on and identify any careers that relevant to these hobbies or interest
2. Choose the careers that you have interest on to explore further
3. Explore more these careers. Speak to someone who works in these careers (if you know any one).
4. Seek guidance from the career counsellor in school or your parents
5. Shortlist 1-2 careers to pursue. Find out he entry criteria of the relevant subject in the college.
Hope this helps! Good Luck!
Thank you comment icon Rebecca, thank you! Kang L.
0