Whenever I am interviewing for a new role I like to set myself up as the perfect candidate who will meet their needs. I do this by asking about...
- gaps - what gaps are you trying to fill with this role? then describe how I am the perfect fit to meet their needs
- leadership - what leader will you be reporting to and what is their style? then answer with my strengths and how I can support this leader and how I flex my style easily to accommodate different leadership styles
- team - what are the strengths and weaknesses of the team I will be working with? then explain how I can round out the team with my strengths and close any weakness gaps
Ask about what it is important to you to be happy in a job. Here are a few examples to consider. Be sure to know what you want/expect for each before you ask the question, this will help you decide whether the company is a good fit for you.
- culture - collaborative/team based or individual contributor? competitive?
- learning on the job opportunities - is it a teaching type environment where you'll be put in situations and learn on the job while being supported?
- expectations of performance in the first 90 days and 1 year
- know the brand of the company before you walk in as ask about how it maintains it's reputation in the marketplace and how that brand looks and feels day to day on the job