4

is it too late to start looking at colleges at the end of you junior year?

4

3

Janet’s Answer

Hi Amir,
Good question and I would say No. There is a lot of pressure on students to start looking early in the junior year but I don't think that applies to everyone. Take your time, ask the questions, and really think about what you want your college experience to look like. It's different for everyone. Don't succumb to the timeline that some of your peers may be on.

Janet
3
0

Shimere’s Answer

Hi, this is a good question and my answer is no. I am a senior that is graduating in less then a month and I know how much pressure you have on you, especially as a junior. Honestly, just take your time and think about what you would like to major in before you decide on a college. It’s okay to not have a college picked out in junior year. I wish you the best.
0
0

Gabriel’s Answer

Not at all!!! I will suggest the following, and please take it with a grain of salt. Every school differs in how they handle things. One thing a lot of schools will do is have a "student ambassador" give you a tour or meet with you. If this happens to you take advantage of the chance to talk to them about their student experience. Don't feel like you're being ignored if after a tour/meeting/interview you aren't getting bombarded with texts and e-mails every day. Recruitment staff is often putting most of their efforts on the kids just graduating and starting in August or September. I liken it to buying a car. It's a large financial investment. If you walk in to a car dealership and say you can't afford the car you want today - you might get a half-hearted sales pitch. They know you have one more year to go.

Other random tips - don't use your high school e-mail on the FAFSA or applications to schools. Some schools shut those off when you graduate. (Or at least check with your high school.) Look for outside scholarships now. If you have a personal e-mail create another one just for scholarship purposes. (Though you could expand to "college purposes".) Never pay to apply for a scholarship or "help with" a FAFSA. Even reputable scholarship sites will send you extra e-mail. If it's a different e-mail it makes it easier to go through maybe once a week or whatever. If you use a personal e-mail things sometimes can get overwhelming and more likely to be missed.

Hope this helps, least a little.

Last advice that I can give - apologies to parent(s) up front...college is the one thing you should definitely not start…and then stop. You can alter course, change majors, change schools (I don’t recommend but life is life) – just don’t stop! I left college after a year and a half because I didn’t think I knew what I wanted to so. It wasn’t until a year later that a friend of mine told me, “you don’t go to school to learn facts…you’re actually learning how to learn.” (Where was that advice when I needed it? Side note...I have two Masters now...it was just...time that could have been better spent.) I didn’t talk to ANYONE about my concerns and doubts. You have friends, family and likely a HUGE support system at whatever college/university you end up at. Once you start…finish. My mistake was internalizing. And since it was a big state school…no one even really noticed I was gone.

You got this! Save your money and don’t apply to colleges until you’ve visited/talked to at LEAST five. Once you pay that app fee...”sales mode” kicks in. Make sure you get the education and experience that you want...cause it's out there. Cheers!
0
0

Stacy’s Answer

Hi Amir. Its definitely not too early to start looking. By starting early, it gives you time to do a lot of research. You can use the research when talking through options with friends and family members. Create a list of non-negotiables that you are looking for. Then, once you have some options create a pros/cons list. Ask for help along the way and have fun!
0