7

I wanna help the foster system

I wanna help the foster system and maybe become a social worker for homes and to make sure foster homes are more safer and better since the no more abortion law has been made most people will depend on foster cares and the system is messed up how do I start a path into becoming a social worker or helper in the foster care??

Thank you comment icon Hi, Jordan! I really admire that you have this goal. Continue to keep informed about current events, and keep open to any opportunities to volunteer! As long as there are people like you who want to make the system better, there is hope for young people in foster care. Alexandra Carpenter, Admin
Thank you comment icon Hi Jordan, I just want to say that (without knowing you personally) I'm really proud of you for asking this question. You are clearly taking in the world around you, considering how these events will affect all of our future, and are showing so much care and compassion. Natalie Dunn, Admin

7

0

Angela’s Answer

Hi Jordan:

Your passion and commitment are evident in your question. There are various opportunities to interact with foster care youth and learn about the foster care system. Lots of non-profit organizations specialize in supporting foster care youth through education support/tutoring, job training, life skills training, navigating through the court system, etc. Do some research in your neighborhood/city to see which organizations may need volunteers or have entry-level positions you may be interested in.

Also look for opportunities to do informational interviews with social workers, they can provide good insight about their work, the impact they have and you can ask them any questions that will help you decide your next steps.

Good luck,

angela
0
0

Peter’s Answer

Hello Jordan,

It is exciting you have found a field that interests you.

I did a quick search to try to find some good information, I was able to find this website below, full of good stuff!

Give this a go:
https://www.noodle.com/articles/how-to-become-a-foster-care-social-worker#:~:text=Foster%20care%20social%20workers%20are%20primarily%20concerned%20with%20the%20health,of%20supportive%20and%20capable%20families.

Best of Luck,
Pete
0
0

Angela’s Answer

Remember your career is not use to just fix. Sometimes fosters parents, social worker have to follow the rules that is from past cases. Never do a career without a detail plan. School, time frame, salary, and requirements.
0
0

Sandra (SANDY)’s Answer

Volunteering is a great way to get familiar with the community you are interested in. Also, reviewing college requirements as to the classes and curriculum they offer is another opportunity to start laying the groundwork for the path you are interested in.
0