5
Updated 245 views Translate

Careers without College?

What caeers are there that do not require college or further education versus a vocational school?

5

2

Pamela’s Answer

Not all jobs require further education. Yet, many do require some sort of schooling or training. To get a better idea I would begin by googling your local vocational schools to see what they offer. They may have times you could visit as well. Then look into other options and explore what they have. This will help you define what is at each location. As a teacher I always told my students that they did not need to go to college for some jobs they desired. Some jobs simply require training and experience on the job. It depends on what you want to do. I hope this helps. Good luck.
Thank you comment icon Hi Pamela! Thanks so much for this answer. Could you also provide the student with a couple of examples of jobs like this? I’m curious what vocations your students were interested in! Alexandra Carpenter, Admin
Thank you comment icon There were many choices as students choose all kinds of things from farmer (I was rural) to fashion designer. doctor and more. I dont know this person so to lead them with more specifics would be misleading them in my opinion. Pamela Taylor
2
0

T.’s Answer

Patrol officer.
Home health aide.
Personal care aide.
Licensed practical and licensed vocational nurse.
Wind turbine technician.
Recreation and fitness worker.
Massage therapist.
Landscaper and groundskeeper.
0
0

Mary’s Answer

The technology field (especially software engineering) is also pretty friendly to non-traditional educational paths! Tech companies of all sizes are often willing to/interest in hiring people with bootcamp experience (think 6 month course rather than 4 year degree)
0
0

To add on to Mary's comment, there are jobs and industries that require a "boot camp" like experience, or a short certification program. In software engineering the language of choice changes often, enabling someone with training in the new language to jump in. Many of these languages can be self taught in a short amount of time.
The jobs of the future are likely to have a short half life, requiring retraining regularly. A 4 year degree with all of the "add on fluff" education won't cut it. By the time you finish a 4 year degree the job requirements may have changed. Most of the job related education in a 4 year degree can be learned a year.
Look for things that you love to do; talk to people, solve puzzles, write, etc. Look for jobs that require those skills, then narrow that down to areas where the education burden is less.
A key for me, you have to love what you're doing, or you won't be able to keep up. Find something you love to do, and get as close to that as you can.
0