2
Updated 46 views

What's the hardest part of working as a Electrical Engineer?

How physically taxing is working as an electrical engineer? What should i expect this job to affect my mental health.

2

1

Greg’s Answer

Becoming an Electrical Engineer is mentally not physically taxing. I studied that field and math is the key. In college there were many formulas and equations you needed to memorize or understand how to use them to solve problems. Some math problems would take 4 note book pages to solve. With that being said, finding the answer was rewarding as hitting the lottery. The math was needed for circuit design, with the equations allowing you to pick the components, power supply, circuit board design, etc.. It felt good know that a design you created on paper then built in the lab actually worked! My financial circumstances at the time didn't allow me to get a 4 yr degree so I had to settle for a 2 yr one. That 2 year degree served me well and I was able to enter the cellular industry 25 years ago. I enjoy what I do and still get that feeling of accomplishment when I put a new cell site on the air, troubleshoot and repair existing cells, and drive areas with test equipment looking for a signal source that is interfering with cellular service. To sum it up, if you truly are excited about becoming an Electrical Engineer, where you design the gadgets of tomorrow, then it will feel like no work at all!! Good luck - electronics is a great field, wise path to follow.
Thank you comment icon This was super helpful, thank you! joshua
1
0

Dan’s Answer

I am a retired engineer and never experienced or observed a situation that was physically taxing. Quite the opposite, the work is most likely a lot of desk and office work so a little after-hours exercise is called for. However there are electrical engineering positions that are factory or field orientated and these require you to be somewhat more active. A factory engineer will be spending time on the factory floor but that is more walking and motion rather than muscle work. And I can imagine some jobs requiring work on large machinery or extreme locations could be more physical. I would not expect most electrical engineers to be physically taxed at work and will note that you should find it easy to avoid the infrequent positions that require such effort.

As for affects on mental health, electrical engineering is likely to subject you to schedule and budget deadlines which can be stressful if you let it get to you. And just like any job, company, or career, there are situations that are high stress but, as an EE, you will have skills that fairly easily allow you to change your employment should your current job have more stress that you like. My career was full of interesting things to learn and do, including: many different microprocessors and computers, pay phones, steel manufacturing, aluminum foundry, weather systems, freight locomotive braking systems, and mass transit transit vehicles. All the exciting (and always changing) experiences made my days quite enjoyable!

0