What are some challenges, you face from time to time, in the career field, graphic design and how did you face it?

Updated New Orleans, Louisiana

I am a senior at KIPP: Renaissance High School, in New Orleans , Louisiana. I had a few questions in mind about my career field, graphic design. I know it's not all peaches and cream, but just wanted to know what were some of the challenges, that someone faced and what you did to face it. #graphicdesign #art #graphic-design #graphic-designer

Zaara’s Answer

Updated Seattle, Washington
Hi Dea' Ja, hmm. Let me see, here are a few. While working for a small design studio with only a few employees: clients' budgets were small and I only had limited time to do the work, could not finish the project to my satisfaction/basically was forced to do work that was not up to my own standards. Moved to a big firm was a welcome change, here there was lots of creative freedom and time to come up with great work. Here however the process is much longer and there are a ton of people involved in the corporate hierarchy. Some are great and some are tough to deal with. From time to time there is a decision maker person who does not care about the creative part of the project they have other agenda (market research or focus group results) they have to deliver on and the work had to yield to that. I have learnt to with with everyone, be flexible, have a great relationship with my art director who could stand up for the creative work when it was necessary. Overall I had to realize that it is not about me and not to take criticism or change orders personally, not to be attached to my own creative ideas so much (there were plenty of times when my ideas were very much appreciated). Now that I am out on my own the challenges are being responsible for getting new clients in, having to deal with the business part of things (taxes, accounting, billing, setting my own prices, paying studio rent), dealing with all parts of client relationships, manage the legal side of the creative business (licensing, copyright issues, writing up work contracts). Pretty much learnt as I went along, use software for accounting, hire a professional for taxes, learnt about legal stuff and professional practices from books. There are professional organizations with local chapters that have memberships for students as well with online resources too. AIGA and GAG. Good luck, enjoy your creativity!

Michele’s Answer

Updated Austin, Texas
There is a great deal of competition in our field. Depending on the atmosphere and culture of the place where you choose to share your talent (whether it be a corporate environment or private studio), you may have to face some very discouraging cut-throat behavior. My advice is to continue to learn as you start and advance in your career so that you are never over-looked or over-shadowed by anyone. You also always want your skills to be sharp and up-to-date. Technology is ever-changing and so the needs change with it. Good luck and much future success to you!

Cuong’s Answer

Updated San Francisco, California

Being in the graphic design field, varies. Depending what kind of work you want to do. Corporate, small studio, or freelance/contract. Working in corporate will gain you the experiences in order to push your career and pursue other jobs at different corporations while working in a small studio is the same but in a much slower pace. When working as a contractor, your jobs depends on your experience you have with people and what kind of work you have done for other clients.

The challenge is, if you want to get your name out but have no experience, I would definitely try to work somewhere small first in order to gain experience. Then as your build your portfolio, you can try out and extensively work as a contractor.

Kristina’s Answer

Oh how much I could ramble on and on about what I've learned but let me keep this simple. No matter where you go you will always have something new you can bring to the table. You are either never bored because of the constant work load or so bored you bring something new and innovative to your department. Either way you have to work hard for your clientele or your boss to show why you deserve your job over others. Really with graphic design a degree is nice but the actual product and the professional is more important. Make sure to be polite and understanding and always a team player. Overtime is expected and for me I get lost in my work and love when the final product is what I want...but sometimes that doesn't happen. When projects are rushed that is when I try even harder to make sure the message isn't lost nor does that final product look rushed. I did struggle initially with clients who expected discounts after the product was made or clients who didn't own rights demanding the product but as long as you have legal advice on hand you'll be fine. Don't let anyone walk over you. It's funny how people think what we do is so easy until they are thrown with a print ad costing thousands and they don't know how to save the file to print or are confused how to layout a book for print.