What should I bring to my college dorm?

Updated Manteca, California

I know most people bring a mini fridge and a microwave to their dorm but what are some other things that most people find essential? #dorm #college #college-bound

Paul’s Answer

Updated New York, New York

There are plenty of lists on the internet that you could use so don't feel worried that you'll forget something. The school may also supply a list of recommended items as well. That being said, I will say that some of the necessities that people tend to overlook include the following:

Toothbrush/toothbrush holder/toothpaste/floss

Laundry Detergent/dryer sheets/fabric softener

Bar Soap/hand soap/hand sanitizer

Hair/skin products

Feminine products

Clothes hangers/laundry basket or bag

Air freshener

Food (Snack items)

Alarm clock or clock radio

Robe/slippers/shower cap

With regards to the mini fridge and microwave, you might want to find out who your roommate is if you can so you both don't bring the same thing. Your dorm room might not be that big so having 2 fridges and 2 microwaves might not work. In addition, having 2 TVs may be a problem as well but you guys can discuss that too.

Jyoti’s Answer

Updated Hyderabad, Telangana, India

1st check for the things that are provided by college, then you can prepare list of what's missing there. Some must will be - Things for personal hygiene, Carry something that is part of your hobby, Snacks, Sewing Kit, Emergency medicines, Post-it noteook, ....

Ashley’s Answer

Updated Irving, Texas

Hi Danielle! That is such an exciting time! I definitely agree that if you are able to connect with your roommate prior to move in day to plan who brings what that is extremely helpful. For my first dorm room, I had one roommate. We lofted our beds so that we had extra space. Under one of the lofted beds, we put a futon. Under the other we had our TV, DVD player, refrigerator, and storage cubes. Each floor had a couple of microwaves so we didn't bring one of those. You will likely not have a ton of storage space so you will want things to make the most of your space such as a hanging shoe organizer. We got some shelves from IKEA as well. Your school may have a list of items that are not allowed so definitely look for that. Good luck with your new adventure!

Bobbi’s Answer

Hello Danielle, Starting college is an exciting time and I will give you a list that will make it a little easier. 1. Storage bins 2. Shower caddy and shoes 3. Lamp and bedding 4. Decorations Good luck.