Seriously Considering University of Southern California

Asked Boston, Massachusetts

Hi, I am a junior in high school and I have been looking at different colleges this past year. I found USC because I want to study Communications and Public Relations and USC is one of the suggestions if I want a degree in Communications. I have been researching the school and I really like it and I could see myself in Los Angeles and at the school. I am just a little hesitant about going to school in California because it is so far away from where I am from (Boston). I also know that it is not easy to get into USC and I was wondering if anyone who knows about the school or went there can share their experience or advice. #college #california #usc

Nilam’s Answer

Updated Los Angeles, California
I am very familiar with USC. USC has the top program for communications in the Annenburg school in the nation. Getting into USC is competitive, since this year the admission rate dropped to 12.3% for Freshmen. Aside from the advice people, I would suggest try becoming familiar with your admission counselor that represents your area. Ask him for advice, and keep in touch periodically so they remember your name. Also, send thank you notes, because no one does that anymore and it leaves an impression. If USC is your dream school, and you really want to get in, I suggest going to community college for a year, and then applying. USC has a higher acceptance rate for transfer students rather than freshmen

Alyx’s Answer

Updated Germantown, Wisconsin

Because USC is a private school it is often more expensive than public institutions. It is also a very competitive school, accepting only 30% of applicants.

Factors considered by schools when evaluating applicants (specific to USC) High school GPA: Very important Difficulty of high school courses: Very important Standardized test scores: Very important High school class rank: Considered Recommendations: Very important Application essay: Very important Character/personal qualities: Considered Interview: Considered Talent or ability: Important Extracurricular activities: Important Level of applicant's interest: Not considered Religious affiliation/commitment: Not considered Work experience: Considered Related to a school graduate: Considered First generation college student: Considered Racial/ethnic group: Considered

Good luck! Most colleges do offer a communications program. Being in a big city will connect you to more opportunities than colleges in rural areas. Another idea would be to contact the admissions office at USC and ask if you can speak with a current student in the communications department.

Here is some contact information that you might find helpful.

The admissions counselor at USC assigned to the Boston area is Art Stenmo. Reach out and send him an email asking the question that you posted here and ask if you might be able to be connected with a current student. He will have a lot of helpful information for you and be impressed that you reached out. You might want to also ask him to connect you with the Communications department at USC for any specific questions you have regarding the program. You can find his contact information here: http://www.usc.edu/admission/undergraduate/findyourcounselor.html

Haley’s Answer

Updated New York, New York

Maeve,

USC has a great communications school if you're interested in a degree in communications. I attended USC and earned a degree in Real Estate Development and a minor in French. While it is far away from Boston, it is only a plane ride away and with FaceTime you'll be able to see your friends and family even if you're a few thousand miles away. Another great thing about USC is that the university offers many other opportunities if you decide after you get to school that you want to pursue a career outside of communications. As a next step I would start thinking about the applications process and see if your student profile (grades, extracurriculars) fits in with the USC student profile. I would also find the alumni network in your neighborhood to see if there are any prospective student events that you can participate in. Good luck!

Haley recommends the following next steps:

• Find out when a USC representative is coming to your high school or your area and meet with them to discuss your interest
  • If time/money permit, schedule a tour at USC so you can get a feel for the campus and opportunities outside of the communication school
  • Start putting together a timeline with application deadlines for the school