What should I do in order to work with the FBI? #FBI

Updated Pacifica, California

I am really interested in becoming a special agent and would like to know how one becomes one. I am wondering how many years of college I should do and I am wondering where I should go. I am willing to go out of California, but have no idea if the FBI looks at the state your college is in. #fbi What should I study Where should I go #law-enforcement #police-and-law-enforcement #investigations

Jim’s Answer

Updated Irving, Texas

FBI skills needs are soft skills, hard skills, technical skills, human skills and the variety of work the do is extremely diverse.  I suggest you see if they have a Citizen's or Teen Academy in your local office.  Also go to FBI Career page and study all of their job openings and see the common and diverse elements.  Also focus on what you are good at, for example, you might not be the best marksman, but  you might be fantastic at evidence analytics.  Working in any capacity of the FBI would be a great honor serving your country.

Shawn’s Answer

Updated Fort Worth, Texas

There are a couple of ways to work for the FBI. The first way is to get your associates degree and join a police department. After 5 years working on the department you can apply for an agent with the FBI. The other way, and best way is to first go to college and get your degree. Try and get your degree in criminal justice, law or accounting. Yes, accounting. One of the best colleges to attend is Mercihurst College in New York. It's a small school, but the FBI use to recruit there heavy. I hope this information helps you in your quest.

Yes, hard work and great CPR matters to move ahead in law enforcement positions. However,the saying is very true, "It's not what you know, it's who you know.

Christopher’s Answer

Updated Falls Church, Virginia

Get a masters degree in criminal justice or a law degree.