Is there someone here who can tell me the path that they took to become a forensic accountant?

3

I'm interested in law, but I also enjoy accounting. As such, it seemed a natural step to look into forensic accounting. I'm hoping someone on here would know a bit more about how to become one. #forensic-accounting #forensic #accounting #career

3

Samantha’s Answer

0
Hi Nathan! Forensic accounting is a very interesting area to be involved in. Without knowing where you are in your education, the first step would be obtaining an Accounting degree from a 4 year college. Some colleges also offer specific degrees related to Forensic Accounting. After graduating, you will need to consider obtaining certification such as Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE). These certifications both require learning and studying very specific and complex accounting material, before taking a series of tests to obtain the final certification. Finally, you will be ready to begin your career search. Roles in audit or internal audit may help prepare you for a career in Forensic Accounting, or you could consider entry level positions within the government (State or Federal Auditor) or law enforcement.

0

Joseph’s Answer

0

<span style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34);">I'd like to add something to Samantha. "</span>Forensic accountants, also referred to as forensic auditors or investigative auditors, often have to give expert evidence at the eventual trial. All of the larger accounting firms, as well as many medium-sized and boutique firms and various police and government agencies have specialist forensic accounting departments. Within these groups, there may be further sub-specializations: some forensic accountants may, for example, just specialize in insurance claims, personal injury claims, fraud, anti-money-laundering, construction, or royalty audits."

Good Luck!

0

Molly’s Answer

0

Hi Nathan,

I think Samantha's answer above is on point. Just to add a little, you can also look for internships in this field to see if you enjoy it. PwC and other firms have Accounting Forensic Groups (like they have M&A and ITS groups). I would work to try and obtain an internship into one of these groups or volunteer at the IRS etc to gain some insight and experience.

Best of Luck!

Molly

0