Diana T.’s Avatar

Diana T.

76

2

Does the university I graduate from affect the position I get in a job?

If I go to University of Arizona will I be able to get the same position in a career as if I go to Stanford? #careers #comparison

Hi, Diana, that's a very good question. I'd like to add a little bit to the solid advice Katie already gave you. While a degree from a prestigious college or university certainly helps, the incremental advantage it provides is probably not as significant as you would think. In my experience applying for jobs, employers are far more concerned with who you are as a person and the experiences you have had than the title of the school on your diploma. With that said, doing well in whatever program and whatever school you choose is extremely important. As Katie alluded to, a significant portion of employers have minimum GPA requirements when considering applicants for a position.

My advice to you is to thoroughly research the schools you are interested in and pick whichever one is the best fit for your career aspirations and personality. Putting yourself in the best place where you will grow academically and as a person will make you a far more attractive employee than if you were to choose a school simply for its prestige. I thought I knew what my dream school was and couldn't wait to start there until my plans came grinding to a halt when I wasn't accepted. In fact, I didn't get in to my top three choices. As it turns out, that was the best thing that could have happened to me. The university I attended was the perfect fit for me and I had an incredible experience there. Don't get lost in how other people view the schools you're considering. Do what you think is right. After all, how much you enjoy your college experience and how much you get out of it are entirely up to you.

I hope this helps - good luck!

Last updated Mar 20 at 01:10 PM
This is a really good question, Diana! While there may be an advantage from attending a school that has name recognition, what is equally as valuable are the relationships that you build while you're in school. There are so many clubs, internships, and other enrichment activities that can help you build a network which will utimately help you land a great job. Good luck in finding the school that is going to be the right fit for you.
Last updated Mar 20 at 11:07 PM
While the university you attend can impact your job search, it is not as simple as looking at one college vs another. Here are some factors to consider-- --What are you majoring in and which school has a better program for this major? --Which school is a better fit for how you want to experience college? If you are unhappy at school, this might keep you from performing your best and ultimately impact your grades. Some employers do use GPAs in the hiring process. --Which school has a stronger relationship with your dream company/industry? Some companies target their recruiting to a select number of universities.
Last updated Feb 02 at 02:04 AM

Last updated Mar 20 at 04:31 PM