How lopsided is the men:women ratio in STEM fields?

As a female looking to go into a STEM field, I'd like to get a little insight into how much of a minority women will be. #women-in-stem #stem

4

May’s Answer

Though the number of females in STEM fields is increasing, the ratio between men and women is still very large. You can help change that! Don't be intimidated. If it is something that you love doing, go for it. - May

1

Jacob’s Answer

It is getting a little better, but in certain fields like the one that I am in it is pretty bad. They had a conference recently that got protested because there wasn't a single woman presenter invited.

1

Shelley’s Answer

It really depends on the field within STEM. Here is a study that talks about the breakdown between men and women and various STEM fields:

http://www.esa.doc.gov/sites/default/files/womeninstemagaptoinnovation8311.pdf

However, as mentioned, it's getting better.

0

Robert’s Answer

From my experience, there are a lot more men than women in the mechanical engineering field, so it could be intimidating. I feel like it is the most dominantly men compared to other fields of engineering. As for biomedical and aerospace engineering, it appears to have a significant number of women in that field.

0