I am a Political Science Major and considering a second major next year, Do you think Communications is a good choice?

3

I am asking because I think that Communications goes hand in hand with Political Science.
#political-science #communications #college #college-major

I have taken Communication classes during my bachelor degree program. I think communication is not that important class if linked with Political Science. Communication what you learn in courses are very much how to handle cultural differences, how to handle conflicts etc, which I think you can learn while getting in-depth in Political Science. Communication as per my understanding, is on-going learning which you do while reading documentary and with your experience. I would say, you don't need to take communication class, but take more leadership classes, history classes which will help you to learn more about Political-Science. Harshprit Saluja Translate
3

Nicole’s Answer

0

I was also a Political Science Major and I wish I had minored or gotten a second degree in Communications. I think it is hugely beneficial to learn how to communicate with others, especially in the field of politics. Politics is all about people - it is about speaking with the public and learning what they are looking for from our government. Learning how to properly and effectively and efficiently communicate is a huge asset in this field.

Nicole recommends the following next steps:

• Enroll in a communications class
  • Enroll in a public speaking class
  • Enroll in a psychology class to learn more about how people think and communicate
0

0

I think it depends on what you want to do.

Communications is always a great major, especially if you dive into the components of Strategic Communications, Campaign Building, and Values Messaging. If you're thinking of running for office or working a campaign, then communications is a strong choice. You really can't go wrong, as communication is often a skill that simply isn't used to its best effect.

Another strong suit is History, especially if you want to be a Poli-Sci scholar. There's a lot of poli-sci that is informed by our history, and it's very relevant to be able to speak to history when looking forward to sort through the political climate today.

0

Lindsay’s Answer

0

I agree that it depends on how you want to use it, but I majored in Communications and Psychology and found it was a great additional degree that is widely relevant.

I've worked in business development, government, higher-education, non-profit, and now in the corporate world and I rely heavily on my knowledge and training from that degree.

I find it fundamental to being a strong team player at work, helping to streamline messaging (which is always a challenge in any business), and having a good understanding and comfort with public speaking.

Lindsay recommends the following next steps:

• Talk with your adviser about how you might utilize the degree, and they can also validate it for you!
  • You could also always consider it as a minor if you're hesitant to take on two majors.
0