If you have a weak stomach now will it affect wanting to be a #nurse?

I’m notorious for having a weak stomach but I want to become a nurse; does over time people learn to deal with it. #nurse #nursing #healthcare #medicine #hospital-and-health-care

10

Annie’s Answer

Having a weak stomach now most likely will never affect your nursing career. Nurses focus on caring and helping people feel better so we easily overlook the vomit and other bodily fluids when in the middle of a situation. That’s isnt to say you wont gag hearing someone else’s patient making vomiting noises from down the hospital hallway but when the patient belongs to your care the only focus is administering the remedy. Most ugly situations become second nature. We often giggle while changing a patient when realizing we are talking about what we are having for lunch ! Being a nurse is truly a calling, if you are called you will not notice your weak stomach at all. Nurses put others needs before their own so eating, using the bathroom, fainting or throwing up does not occur until after the patient is stabilized and situation is over. Hope this helps ! - Annie, RN

I agree to a point. I have worked with nurses in an oncology ward that would be vomiting with their patients. I certainly wouldn't let this stop you from being a nurse. I cant stand to watch surgeries and things on TV , videos because they gross me out but I Love to watch surgeries. There are so many jobs that you could do where you wouldn't have to deal with such things. Susan Bruner

0

Alyssa’s Answer

Hi Jada, I use to have a weak stomach. Hearing or seeing vomit never sat well with me when I was around my sick patients. In the beginning it was rough but I would wear a mask for the smell or turn my head away while comforting my patients as I held the bucket for them. In time your body adjust to sights and sounds of things that did not sit well with you before. I can honestly say like the other nurses that caring for your patient is the greatest value to this career. A lot of nurses that you will work with also give you tips and tricks that may have worked for them when they are around things that they can't stomach. Wound care also was another sight that my stomach could not handle but over time my stomach became stronger. It's kind of funny because it's your mental strength that gets you through this career. You'll go through a lot but you will come out on top! Hope this helps I think you'll wonderful. Its a rewarding career

0

Yasemin’s Answer

Hi Jada! I think it's great that you want to be a nurse; my best friend is on this path as well and she loves it. Honestly I use to have a weak stomach too but when I decided to become a physician I outgrew it so it's definitely possible to outgrow it as well. As I got more experience in the medical field I realized that seeing certain things weren't as hard as I thought it might be especially when it relates to the human body and health, therefore I would recommend to get more experience by volunteering and having direct contact with patients. It will help in making your decision more certain for the nursing field! In addition not all nurses are ER nurses which is where most of the action can be; I've met nurses who work alongside different physicians such as plastic surgeons or pediatricians and these can be areas where it can be a calmer environment.

I hope this helps!

0

Alyssa’s Answer

0

Alexis’s Answer

Definitely not . I work in the Emergency Room and it is still things like blood or poop, vomit , & even suctions a trach out that still get to my stomach . Ive found that since being a nurse my nose and feet don't mix well . Nevertheless, having a weak stomach does not make nursing not the career for you . Go for it :)

0

Georgia’s Answer

A weak stomach is similar to fear. For example, a person may be afraid of bodily fluids because it appears gross, but during nursing school you learn about the body and how it produces these fluids and their functions. You realize the importance of blood for example. And understand how vital it is to saving someone’s life. You can get over your fear and become a wonderful nurse. It takes curiosity, dedication and most of all a caring heart to help others.

0

Having a weak stomach won't stop you from being a great nurse! Over time, with exposure, the overwhelming feelings usually get better (although they may not completely go away). Also,there are MANY kinds of nurses and if something really bothers you (like sputum, blood or feces) you can find a specialty that doesn't often care for patients with those issues. Nursing is a team sport and if you face something that bothers you, chances are it doesn't bother a coworker as much. We often lean on our teammates to help us through it.

0

Carolann’s Answer

If you want to be a Nurse you obviously want to help people. While in school you will learn alot of science and how the body works and about variius diseases. You will also learn the many ways that nurses can help someone to feel and get better. You will begin to think about "What can I do to make this person better" and you will focus more on the patient. Thoughts of yourself and how you feel will fade to the background. The patient will need you and you will be able to jump into action and thoughts of yourself will be secondary. Later with your co-workers you can review how you felt. As an effective nurse, you will be surprised how they come first.

Carolann recommends the following next steps:

Remember that you will learn so much that will help you overcome this.

0

Kristen’s Answer

I used to have a weak stomach when it came to blood, vomit, and poop. I started working in hospitals as a tech (physical therapy and ER). If I was observing, I would get light-headed, but if I jumped in to help I had no problems. I worked in a trauma center as an ER nurse for many years, and I got over my weak stomach super fast. Well, bad nose injuries still make my skin crawl, but nothing else bothers me now.

Kristen recommends the following next steps:

Take the first step and sign up to be a junior volunteer in a hospital.
Take Heath professions classes in high school
Get your CNA.
Work as a CNA to make money and gain invaluable experience while you go to school to become a nurse

0

Gloria’s Answer

Nursing in hospitals and home care involve a lot of care that may involve situations tht may cause a person with a weak stomach to be uncomfortable, but honestly it depends on what makes you feel like you have those uncomfortable feelings.

0

Kristen’s Answer

Get your CNA.

0

Christine’s Answer

I think that the more experience you get and the more you are exposed to the less sensitive you will become. Start by volunteering in healthcare settings (hospital, private clinic, community clinic).

0