What are my best options if I am currently attending school while on DACA, want to apply to graduate school and or med school but am not sure if I'll still have it by that time?

Updated Iowa City, Iowa

My DACA expires in two years, my mother is applying for citizenship sometime relatively soon but we are not sure how long that process will take and by that time my DACA may be expired and I'll be extremely limited on what graduate schools and or med schools I can apply to. #medicine #daca #biology #graduate-school #immigration #college-admissions #college

Jenny’s Answer

Hi there! I second Rocio's note above. Your motivation and efforts during a time of uncertainty is really inspiring. Hopefully the below helps.

Grad Schools. You can look up the program or school to see if admissions is "DACA-friendly" before applying.

DACA Program. Because DACA is a form of temporary relief, if you want to go to grad/med school and eventually practice/work in the U.S., your long-term goal would be to obtain permanent resident status (aka a green card) after your mother becomes a U.S. citizen. Because this processes will take some time, remember to file the renewal of DACA well before the current expiration (assuming the process does not change). As of right now, previous DACA recipients may file for renewal of DACA. The earliest you can file for renewal of DACA is 120 days before the current expiration. Because immigration laws and requirements often change, please be sure to seek an attorney's advice or assistance with the renewal application or if you have any questions. There are many free legal clinics / services within each community to assist and advise on DACA renewals. If you need help with finding one when the time comes, please feel free to reach out.

Jenny

Rocio’s Answer

Hello Raul! As a fellow DACA recipient, I understand how worrisome it may be to not know what the future holds. However, I'm here to tell you to not give up on your goals and dreams. I also was in college and aspiring to work towards my Bachelor's degree when uncertainty hit me. I decided that no matter what the future held, I would continue to work hard, be an applied student, and give if my best everyday. As I continue with my career and college plan, my immigration situation became permanent, and I was able to continue on with my dreams and goals. My advice to you would be to not give up; the future is uncertain, but the most rewarding feeling is knowing you pursued your dreams and did not give up. Hope this helped!

Diego’s Answer

Updated Austin, Texas

If you’re already 21, your ability to get status from your mom will be significantly affected. The biggest hurdle with grad programs will be tuition—no access to loans. Talk to schools about what full-tuition scholarships are available.

I recommend scheduling a full consultation with an attorney because immigration is too complex for a quick answer.

Diego recommends the following next steps:

• Schedule an appointment with an immigration attorney to see what possibilities exist for more permanent status.