I am transgender, are there in colleges that favor that for admissions and scholarships?

10

I feel that there may be some colleges interested in diversifying their student body with transgender students. Some schools indicate they are LGBTQA friendly schools, but I don't know if there are certain school trying to recruit students like myself. I'm looking for the right fit.

I just want to know if that is something certain schools look for.
#lgbtqa #lgbt #college #college-admissions

Higher Education is a focus to Financial stability, and finding the right fit for students is a selective choice. Dori Coleman Translate
10

AJ’s Answer

4

Hey there Jens,

Congrats on taking this awesome step in your life! I learned so much about myself during college and built some really lasting relationships while I was working on my degree. In terms of LGBTQ recruitment, some schools do it and some don't. A great resource for learning about your prospective schools' LGBTQ-friendliness is the Campus Pride Index (linked below in suggested next steps). Their index is by no means all-encompassing, but the schools listed are schools that are, at the very least, interested in making their campus a great place for LGBTQ students to learn and grow. For scholarships, there are a few LGBTQ-specific scholarships that come to mind, though they can be incredibly competitive:

You can also see if your local PFLAG or GLSEN chapters have any scholarships. I live in New Mexico and received a $1,000 scholarship for graduate school, which is enough to help me pay for the last bit of my tuition that my student loans didn't cover.

I hope this is helpful! Good luck! You're gonna do great. :D

AJ recommends the following next steps:

• Check out the Campus Pride Index https://www.campusprideindex.org/
  • Look into the scholarship granting orgs listed above!
  • See if your local LGBTQ-focused groups (PFLAG, GLSEN, regional/state/city orgs or foundations) have scholarship funds for which you can apply.
Was coming to mention the Point Foundation! Glad to see it here. Isabel Holmes Translate
4

Khristian’s Answer

4

As a transgender Full Time college student, I have found that going to my local GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) and/or LGBTQ+ club/organization helps directly with questions such as this. Yes, there are scholarships that are specifically geared for those within the LGBTQ+ community such as those found on www.pointfoundation.org and www.afsusa.org/Scholarships‎ for example. However to answer your question about the diversity at college, I personally do not feel as if colleges specifically look to administrate you based off of your sexual orientation or gender identity. Being prejudice against someone's gender identity, for example, during the admissions process, is a form of discrimination and is against equality rights. For further information, please check out: https://www.hrc.org/resources/applying-to-college-as-an-lgbt-student

Khristian recommends the following next steps:

• Apply to scholarships that you feel you can benefit from based off of you gender identification as well as LGBTQ+ personal history.
  • Check out colleges that you feel would make your college experience worth it, not just based off of, but capable of making you feel welcomed for you gender identification and LGBTQ+
4

Olena’s Answer

1

Here are some resources to help you in your search for scholarships and grants:

https://yescollege.com/post/scholarship-databases

https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/scholarship-search

https://www.scholarships.com/

https://www.fastweb.com/

Good luck! :-)

1

Brent’s Answer

1
Many schools do not ask about your gender identity or sexual orientation, so it's difficult to say that schools "favor" students who identify as transgender. However, I would definitely encourage you understand how supportive each college you are interested in is towards the LGBTQ+ community.

In your college application, you can certainly mention your gender identity into it (as appropriate) which will notify the school about your identity. Many schools (and I would argue the best schools) value a diverse student body and (might) give you a stronger chance for being admitted if you meet their academic and other requirements to get in.

As another person pointed out, most schools do not have financial aid internally for transgender students, though there are often scholarships for diversity and maybe LGBTQ students that you may receive after being accepted. There are also external and outside scholarships like Pointe Foundation and Unbroken that are specific to LGBTQ students.
1

Daniel’s Answer

0
Jens, this is an important question.

Regarding scholarships, these are more selective, so how you self-identify will have a huge impact on what you qualify for.

Regarding college admissions...
As Brent wrote, colleges and universities don't generally "favor" an applicant based on how they identify, but in my experience working with admissions I can affirm that it does make a difference when you present it in your story or statement of purpose. Essays help admission officers understand not just how a student sees the world, but what they stand for and believe in--and if your mission/purpose fits with ours--then you're in!

So yes, schools do want to build a diverse student body, and they will be interested in how you identify. But it's not as easy as checking a box and done (mostly the checkbox is for data collection, so they can show how inclusive their school is). Typically there are a few schools that are more active in creating a culture of inclusivity. Those schools will definitely be more eager to read your essays and you'll likely find an embracing, welcoming community there.

I'm excited about your next steps toward college! Onwards and upwards!!!
0

Renee’s Answer

0

Favoring based on orientation is not permitted due to it seeming discriminatory. However, a community environment that is supportive of such a group will be more accepting such as Cal State Long Beach or any institutions of higher learning in that area.

Reversely, one where that populace is underserved may have assistance within a hostile environment.

Renee recommends the following next steps:

• Research Long Beach colleges to see if programming aligns with educational desires.
  • Search assistance, scholarships, financial assistance.
  • Apply
  • Enrollment
  • Attendance and completion of all classes within semester.
0

Carl’s Answer

0

Before I give my answer to this question, let me ask you a question.

What do you identify as? Male, female, or transgender?

From my experience and the institutions that I have worked at, no the schools do not offer scholarships based on gender. I am sure if you look online someone does, but I think it would be unethical for any school to do so based on gender.

I personally feel that no one will know what you are unless you tell them. Its not like being black all day having that use against you. If you want to be treated equal, then don't look for handout because your different.

Good luck.

Carl recommends the following next steps:

• Just apply for scholarships based merit, or talent.
0