What are some tips you can give to someone who is job interviewing and the person who is doing your interview is two times younger then you and you sense that the age difference is not an issue for you but seems to make the interviewer uncomfortable?

I have been within the work force for some time; 30 years to be exact; I am running into interviewers that are younger and find themselves thrown by interviewing me. The 80/20 rule of interviewing goes out the window and they seem to do all the talking like they are the ones selling themselves. I want to find a way to put them at ease and show them I might be older however there is a great deal I can learn and that I want to do just that. #learningeverstops #interviewing #workforce #80/20rule #tips #atease

3

Nadir’s Answer

Angie,
As an interviewer at my workplace it does makes me uneasy when since the candidate is older, they want to show that they know more about this job which I am at then they do. I do love when they acknowledge that since I have been at this company, understand the culture and know the expectations/culture at this job, they will be looking at me for directions in those regards. At the same time though, they are well versed in their qualifications and can do the job well.I like the methodology of developing a 60 second pitch that you can give at the beginning of your interview. That could help add some pointers there indicating you are experienced in the field although would work closely with the interviewer in other aspects you can learn from them. Good luck and hope this helps.

0

Amy’s Answer

Hi Angie! As an aging career woman undergoing interviews, I can relate to your concerns. The trick I use is to listen intently to what they're saying, then when they stop (or take a breath), I'll ask a couple of questions.I do treat them with respect, as a peer and give them the attention they need/want, but I also do not let them overtake the interview time with their speeches, and will interrupt if I feel I am not getting adequate time to ask my questions or tell them more about myself. Don't hesitate to "stick up for yourself" when necessary. If they are good at interviewing, they will notice your drive to want to know more about the company they work for and provide your own background. Good luck!

0

Lisa’s Answer

Hi Angie, I think you’ve answered your own question perfectly: Present yourself as a continuous learner with a growth mindset, that you feel there’s a lot you can learn from working with people of different age groups, and that this and all types of workforce diversity makes for stronger organizations.

Reach out directly if you have more questions!

0