What's it like, money wise, to have an apartment?

Updated Houston, Texas

During college, depending on which one I go to, I was thinking about getting my own apartment, something cheap for now until I save up more money than I do now. I want to have the feeling of living on my own, to try and see if I can handle it. #financial-planning #mortgage

Jeff’s Answer

Updated Los Angeles, California

An apartment has more expenses than most people consider besides rent, security deposit (usually) and utilities. If it's your first apartment you need to buy a lot of small things you've never thought about like furniture, trash cans, dish towels, and spices. Before you decide to get an apartment, try going through a big box store and add up the costs of everything you would buy to stock a living room, bedroom, kitchen and bathroom and add them up on the calculator on your phone. Doing that makes many people want to live with a roommate and split those costs. It's also why many college students live on campus at least the first year. Some schools require that you do so.

This professional recommends the following next steps: