What would be the best time to go into the field of becoming an announcer for radio or television, and try to maintain keeping good grades in college?

I am a athlete, I love the game of basketball, but I also love being in the camera. I know how to be a host because I host a lot of shows before and I am not scared of crowds, especially when it comes to talking about real life situations or about music; or sports. I am asking my question because I want to be able to maintain my grades and keep a consistent good GPA and also be on the basketball team. But I also want to try this career in becoming a announcer. business television public-speaking radio-host oral-communication announcer

3
Pros
3
0

Kelly’s Answer

My recommendation would be to look into colleges who offer a RTF (Radio/Television/Film) degree through their College of Communications. You should also consider an internship at a local TV station or another place where you can study underneath a mentor while learning the ropes. It's a great resume builder and networking opportunity.

0

Bob’s Answer

Volunteer to do announcing work for other sports at your school. Since you'll be busy during basketball season, look at announcing for Baseball or something else. It'll be better for your schedule & it'll help sharpen your skills. A good announcer can make anything interesting; stepping out of your basketball comfort zone will push your boundaries.

I would also suggest taking an improv class. This really helps with thinking on your feet and speaking clearly and quickly. I second the idea of reaching out to your local station(s) for an internship... nothing beats hands on experience. Deana "Babe" Bracken
0

Valerie’s Answer

Hi Gabriel,
Well it sounds like you're already on your way to being a great host. I'm afraid as I'm based in Ireland I can't recommend specific courses for you to take but I suggest a good acting/drama course would be really beneficial. Getting a good voice coach is very important and learning how to look after your voice correctly.
I think if you were to take on a class or two once a week it would point you in the right direction and hopefully not interfere with your studies.

The very best of luck with it! Keep up the good work.

Valerie.

0